mtbr member

Good job! Aftermarket Pads: Aztec

FYI: Aztec pads now come with springs! I've seen their packages for Hayes ($13), and I'm assuming the springs are now included for Avid's etc. I've used them before, but had to try and reuse the old springs. The pads work fine.

No, that's not phonetic
    I tried a set for Avid and they didn't even survive the bedding in. The pad material cooked off the carrier when they got really hot. Something seriously wrong with that I'd say...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I tried a set for Avid and they didn't even survive the bedding in. The pad material cooked off the carrier when they got really hot. Something seriously wrong with that I'd say...
    That experience surely sux, but my 2 sets used were comparable to Hayes and Avid originals in performance and durability... Anyone else have Aztec experiences?

Unshaven Yak
    I installed a set on my XT 4-piston units (front 8" rotor) & I had a serious problem with glazing, they worked fine for a bit, then on a seriously steep section I could feel the pads hit the disc on cue, but no bite at all from the pads (dry conditions); I ran off trail & into the brush. Replaced with standard Shimano metallics & things back to normal (looked at the Aztecs & the glaze was very apparent on the outside edge of the pad). I may try them in the back where this may not be such an issue.

One thing though, I do have an issue with a pulse that raises its ugly head from my front 8" rotor....I don't have a clue what causes that. Time for a search unless someone can enlighten me. I don't think there are any bubbles in the system as power is good & the caliper is aligned properly.

mtbr member
    Make sure your pads aren't hitting the rotor arms. That is a known cause of "pulsing". Its bad, very bad.

Team Sanchez
    I tried a pair of Aztecs for my Avids, and I couldn't get them to bed. After 50 or so hard stops, they still lacked any breaking force. Needless to say, they went in the recycle bin, and I got some Kool stops instead. The Koolstops work great.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

sixsixtysix
    Yeah, I tried replacing my Avid pads with Aztecs, they lasted all of about a week. The never seemed to bed in, were really weak on the stopping power and on the 4th ride of the week I felt a vibration coming from my rear brake. When I pulled the pads they had about 40% of the pad surface chunked away. Not even worth the $15 I paid for them.