mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Advise mtb brakesystem for studyproject

Dear MTB'ers,

Our projectassignment is building a car that runs on a fuelcell. This car will compete in the Shell eco-marathon. This is a race about the economy of the vehicle. The previous model needs to be optimized mechanically (our departement). That includes a better braking system. Weight reduction is a very inportant factor and therefor we are considering lightweight mtb hydraulic discbrakes.

The previous model had Magura Louise brakes. These had enough braking power, but when released, the brakes weren't completely fricion free. (fluid wasn't pumped back?)

So, my question:

Can someone advise me on hydraulic brakes, that are lightweight and doesn't make contact with the discs when released?

Thanks!

Hydrocruiser

...idios...
    The previous model had Magura Louise brakes. These had enough braking power, but when released, the brakes weren't completely fricion free.
    That's not how they should work. You had a slow/stuck piston and had it been freed up - or replaced if the component was defective - then it would have been fine.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I second SteveUK's opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Agreed...

another possibility is a slight misalignment of the calipers themselves or possibly the mounting system. Other possibilities include fluid over fill from the factory, brakes bled without the pistons being fully seated in the bores (another excess fluid problem), sticky piston(s) as SteveUK noted. The foregoing assumes that the drag was constant.

The bottom line is, your previous brakes didn't behave as they should. Any hydraulic MTB disc brake system (light weight or otherwise) should retract the pads/pistons sufficiently to clear the rotor without drag when the lever is released as Steve noted. Hope, Magura, Avid, Hayes, Formula, and Shimano all make quality hydraulic disc brakes. And all should run drag free if he system is properly set up.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"