Rider and Wrench

Advice on Replacement Pads for V Brakes

I just got done putting together a bit of a retro ride and installed some XTR 951 V's on it and need to replace the cartrige pads on them. I went right from Canti's to Hydro Discs a long time ago so don't know where to start....
    I am debating on the following (or other suggestions) Please let me know what you have or have not had luck with-
    Fibrax
    Genuine Shimano
    Kool Stop

I do not see the bike these are going on being abused and will probably use a disc brake equipped ride during wet weather. The rims are Bontrager Mustangs with a machined surface. With this in mind they will occasionally get wet etc... my biggest concerns are noise and stopping power rather than super durability. I am no small guy at 210 or so with gear as well as this rigid ride may have to pull double duty by pulling a trailer with 60+ of little ones.

Any feed back would be appriciated- Thanks
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i just put some kool stop pads on my avid sd7's and really like the performance so far.

i highly recommend staying away from the ritchey logic red pads. i had some and they were dead after 2 months. not worth the closeout price i got them for.

I'd rather be riding!
    Kool Stop. Best I ever used for rim brakes.

Yo.

Word.

Quote Originally Posted by kmacon
    Kool Stop. Best I ever used for rim brakes.
    +1. Look for the "salmon"-colored inserts/pads if you can find them - great braking when dry, and unparalleled in the wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Two words or one word. Kool Stop, or Koolstop. Period. best ever. my 2 centavos wurth of experience.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!