Gnarbar

Advice if you are considering Formula Brakes

Buy pads in bulk and don't run short.

Got an order in for some "The One" pads and suppliers are temp out of stock, supplies coming in and thankfully I had one new set of pads and half work backup set in my toolbox.

Just a heads up.

ps The ones are the most ridiculous, powerful, solid,modulated brakes - just unreal. So much control, stability, traction, and fuss-free. No bleeds all season versus Codes that had to be bled like a pig that had a big stake through the middle of it.
    White/blue Intense Slopestyle
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

Sovereign Cycle | Lama Cycles | Morewood Bikes | Kali Protectives

mtbr member
    Im glad to here you like the formula system. Im not going with the big money "ones" but the k24s. Do you have any experience with the oro k24's?
    Im looking for a change in brake systems and it seems no mater what you are looking at someone has had a problem with them. Makes it tough to pick one. Im also looking at the hayes trail and magura louise bat. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm on Louise BAT's right now but always drooling over R1's. The Louise's are good brakes and Price Point had/has them hella cheap.
    Tell us more about the R1's please? I have to convince myself that the $ is worth it.

Flaccid Member
    I don't own The Ones, but I do own the Mega's. Great brakes, they will stop you right now... Same system, same pads.

mtbr member
    For the ONE/Mega I much prefer the Koolstop pads. Cheaper and so far, always available.

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/k...-sintered.html

While the ONE/Mega can be finicky, the K24 (really the entire Oro series) are unbelievable brakes in that they are strong, reliable and have great feel. We have Megas, K18s, K24s and Biancos and love them all. However, of the Oro series the Biancos were the worst of the bunch until I tossed the stock sintered pads and put semi-metallics in. This leads me to believe many of the ONE/Mega issues come from Formula's sintered pads. The K24 is the best for the $ IMO, the fcs is really worth the upgrade from the K18s. Although, it appears is still offering the deal I got for my Biancos ($135/end), I don't think you can beat this deal. BTW, we run both Hayes and Avid rotors with no issues which really keeps the cost down.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?pageid=30...d=10403&type=T
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hey guys,
    I just wanted to let you know that there are a number of different wholesale distributors where you can get the pads. If one is out (doesn't happen often...but can occasionally), chances are the others have them. Also, you can get them direct from Formula USA as well and we make a point of always having them in stock. Some shops are still not aware you can order directly from us, so if you are looking for pads and are told they are out of stock, just have your shop give us a ring...we will have them for sure!

Cheers and happy trails!

Chris Costello
    Formula Brake USA / Perigeum Development

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I won't go into my experience with The Ones but I will say that their customer service, at least in the U.S., is awesome!
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    I have K24 - 1st generation (2005) and think the brakes could be better.

Have to rebuild the lever assy with a new "bore-kit" and have been finding out that sintered and 180/160 can come short in terms of braking power!

May have to move to a set of 200/180 but I will go back to the original Organic pads and see the power increase.

In terms of lever feal (spring) I really like the Strokers and Shimanos!
    When money comes around, maybe I will change to Saints 4 pots or Hopes new brakes.

Grip it and rip it.
    I agree, the pads on my Oro's wear down like a beast!!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I upgraded from Elixir CRs to R1s and then to the Ones. Absolutely blown away by the power and modulation of both pair of Formula brakes. The service in Europe has been spot on too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul
    I have K24 - 1st generation (2005) and think the brakes could be better.

Have to rebuild the lever assy with a new "bore-kit" and have been finding out that sintered and 180/160 can come short in terms of braking power!

May have to move to a set of 200/180 but I will go back to the original Organic pads and see the power increase.

In terms of lever feal (spring) I really like the Strokers and Shimanos!
    When money comes around, maybe I will change to Saints 4 pots or Hopes new brakes.
    Same with me! I have had to replace both master cylinders in my K24s. I am around 200lbs so I don't think the brakes are that good for me. For a light XC rider I am sure they are good. I just put on some Saints last night and those things are dangerously strong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G
    Same with me! I have had to replace both master cylinders in my K24s. I am around 200lbs so I don't think the brakes are that good for me. For a light XC rider I am sure they are good. I just put on some Saints last night and those things are dangerously strong.
    I only weight 180 with full equipment and ride fast dh... brakes aren`t up to the job and will have to have a solution really soon! It scares a lot entring a curve on your brakes to reduce a bit of speed, and brakes don`t cope with the job.
    Maybe I`ll be slower on bigger/better brakes

Mal Ad Osteo
    I love my K24's, lots of modulation and power. I've been eyeing the Ones after testing them out a few weeks back. Just can't bring myself to drop the cash when my current brakes are working right now.

I like Monkeys
    Not much to add except that there is a reason they are called "The Ones"
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Something must be up if K24s aren't holding up on DH. My son weighs 200 lbs., is faster than me and is running 180/160 K24s with organic pads and he has had no issues. And that is on brakes I bought used. He runs K18s on his heavier DH bike with no issues as well. That said, I would suggest ONE/Mega for regular DH use as they stop you now!
    Last edited by stretch169; 09-22-2009 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    "is very fast",
    That`s something relative...

mtbr member
    "is faster than me"
    fixed. that should clear things up... But seriously, he is 200 w/o gear and they have held up fine so something may be up with your set.