mtbr member
    May 2007

Advice on going to 203mm?

Hi, Currently I own a 2006 Gary Fisher X-caliber which is a 29er with a Rock Shox Reba front fork and Avid BB7 front brakes and 160mm rotors. I am 6'5 and 215lbs. I am very athletic and an aggressive rider. The majority of my riding is XC, but the trails in my area limit me. I would like to upgrade my front brakes. I was thinking to keep it cheap to just buy an adapter for my caliper and buy some 203mm rotors? But im confused at which adapters to buy? My hub is a 6 bolt so that is easy enough to purchase the rotor... Can someone help me in the right direction? Also id like some advice, would 203mm be too much should i just go 185mm as for size? Also is it that much better to go hydraulic? I know it has a better feel but I dont get a problem with keeping pressure on my brake lever. I figure the self gapping is a pretty good feature over mechanical.... Just trying to figure out what would be the best and most cost effective upgrade for me would be... Thanks any input would be greatly appreciated.

Meh.
    You need an IS (international standard) to PM (post mount) adapter for 203mm rotors. The front and rear are different adapters. Both the Hayes and Avid adapter will work fine for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You need an IS (international standard) to PM (post mount) adapter for 203mm rotors. The front and rear are different adapters. Both the Hayes and Avid adapter will work fine for sure.

Cool thanks... Would this work for the adapter? They have two options IS 203mm and Post 203mm which one would it be? And can I just use the stock hardware?

http://pricepoint.com/detail/16747-1...-Included).htm

Meh.
    You need IS 203 because your fork uses IS tabs. Yes, you can use all the old bolts and CPS stack.

Double-metric mtb man
    Just make sure that the fork is rated for a 203 mm rotor too
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went to the Rock Shox's website and it didnt give any limit to the rotor size... Im continuing to do more research on this and im starting to think mabye 203mm is too much.. mabye 180mm and hyrdraulic. Are these a good deal and a good set Magura Julie SL? Seems like a really good price.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+Oe.aspx

Meh.
    Reba can take 203mm rotor no issues, so I didn't say anything.

Pass on the Julie... BB7 brakes set up correctly should be more powerful. Maybe you should consider a new pad compound too... EBC Reds or Galfers or something along those lines will grab a bit harder.

Double-metric mtb man
    Good advice on the pad choices there XSL.

I wasn't sure about the Reba....so I thought I'd flag it
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me