Huckin' trails

Advantages of Canti over V-brakes ?

Hi, I was fooling around Avid's website today and I noticed that Cantilevers brake are still in the course and I was wondering if they had any big advantages over the v-brakes for competition, other then being a few grams lighter ?

Thanks,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Did you also notice.......

The word 'Cyclocross' in the overview.
    Riding Type: Road
    Compatibility: Road style levers

mtbr member
    The only reason to use cantis these days IMO, is either because you want to use road levers that aren't V-brake compatible or for aesthetic reasons on an old or old skool bike. V's are just a better design--easier to set up, less prone to squeal and chatter, and mis-alignment as the brake pad wears.

Though I have to say that modern cantis are a lot easier to set up than the old style smooth, pad post ones!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Agreed. The only real advantage of cantis over v-brakes is the compatibility with short pull and road levers. While modern cantis are certainly easier to set up than the old style smooth post designs, they still usually require a bit more tweaking to tune out vibration, chatter and squeal.

The only reason they are still the preference in cross racing in many cases is the long standing UCI ban on disc brakes (which has recently been lifted), and the road lever compatibility thing. That and the wide open design of the canti clears mud (always a factor in cross racing) WAY better than the standard dual pivot road brake design and allows the use of wider tires as well.

For mountain bike racing the advantage definitely goes to the b-brake. The weight is usually a toss up as the cantilever brake requires hangers and a y cable set up of some sort that usually evens things out. Add to that the often finicky set up, and a serious lack of high end light weight short pull flat bar type brake levers, and you're better off with v-brakes.

Cantilever brakes certainly have their place in competition and every day riding. But it's more of the niche where nothing else will do anymore.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"