mtbr member
    May 2008

Adjusting XT brakes

I took the front wheel off my bike to load it in my van. I accidentally squeezed the brake lever. I've heard you should never ever do this if your wheel is not on. So I took my bike out to see if there was a problem. Put the front wheel on and the brake was rubbing pretty bad. So I took the wheel off and gently put a screw driver between the pads and pried them apart a little. Put my wheel back on. Still having the problem so I loosened the two allen bolts that are used to adjust the brake squeezed the brake lever and tightened the bolts. Still rubbing. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? As you can tell I don't have much experience with disk brakes. Hopefully I didn't mess things up too bad my squeezing the brake lever without the wheel in.

metrotuned WoS
    A flathead screwdriver with gentle pressure can open up those pads. Even the Magura Louise pad replacement video on the Magura site shows this as an alternative if you dont have the typical "transport" tool (plastic piece or cardboard that goes in between pads during removal of wheel).
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Because they weren't rubbing previously, I'm guessing you didn't push the pistons back far enough with that screwdriver. Take the pads out and try it again but the pistons should receed back further than flush. If loosening the caliper bolts, squeezing the lever a few times and re-tightening doesn't work, just position the calipers by hand so they are not rubbing. You can always space them with washers if required too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the help!