mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Adjusting my Elixer 3 brakes. (yes another one with issues)

2013 Trance X1. Front squeals like a pig getting raped. I taulked (ny accent) into thinking that its a safety feature so my friends know where im at.

My bike was in my hot garage, took it out 2 weeks later. I unloaded it of my rack and as i moved it i noticed the rear brake was locked. Some how in those two weeks, some one broke into my garage and put a lot of oil in the lines under pressure so the piston would prevent the wheel from spinning.

I did not have anything to crack the bleed screw in the back so I removed one of the pads. I rode that day with just the front brake.

Ever since that day I cant get good pressure out of the dayum thing. I bled it, LBS bled it, then I bled it again, then another LBS bled it and now Im goign to have to bleed it again cause mine would come out the best.

What I would do is remove the return spring clip then bleed it with the pads making contact with a shim I used which is almost as thick as the disk. This gave me the feel I wanted where the lever would not toucn my finger on the bars once fully pressed. Not the proper way to bleed it i know but atleast it work better than a regular bleed.

I had the 2013 anthem X1 and sold it after 3 months (awesome bike). Loved those shimanos on it. LEts see what I do. I know those brakes will be canned.

The Original Suspect
    Sorry to hear your issues, Elixers are temperamental to say the least. Good luck!