mtbr member
    May 2007

Adjusting Hayes MX-4...

Hello everyone,

First post here. I just bought a IronHorse Warrior 1.3 last week. After my first ride, the front disc brake made a rubbing noise. My plan is to try and adjust them... It appears that its rubbing on the inside pad. As I am unfamiliar with disc brakes, I am looking for help in how to go about adjusting the calipers and eliminating the noise?

I haven't checked any other potential causes for the problem? Are there any other things I should check out before I adjust the calipers?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007

Hayes Website...

Hayesdiscbrake.com

Look for the manual.

mtbr member
    May 2007

ok another question

ok I managed to get the rubbing to go away, but my lever almost hits the grip to put full pressure on the front brake...my barrel adjuster is tightened all the way, not sure what else to adjust to get less play in the front brake. I dont really use the front brake a lot but i just want it to work properly. I'm still getting good brake power, but I just dont know how else to adjust the lever other than the barrel adjuster...do I maybe need to adjust the outside pad too?

the manual doesn't really say how to adjust the outside pad?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You can't, loosen the caliper mounting bolts and slide it over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have HMX-2, hopefully, HMX-4 are little different. What you may do is adjust the passive(inside) pad. For adjusting, you have to loosen the small stopper screw on the body of caliper(in HMX-2 it is Allen 2 mm.), then turn the screw on the inner side of caliper(it is Allen 5 mm.) clockwise until you feel some resistance. This way you push the pad closer to the rotor. Then make half of a turn counterclockwise (so that the rotor won't rub) and tighten the stopper screw.

mtbr member
    May 2007

ok...now what

well I already adjusted the inside pad so that it wont rub... but now that the brake lever is going all the way down, about a 1/4 inch from touching the grip for full braking, I'm not sure how to fix this. But I have remedied the rubbing issues.... my friend with some bike know how told me theres too much slack in the cable?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If the barrel adjuster is all out already, all you may do to tighten the cable, is unscrew the cable from the caliper(must be Allen 5 mm), pull the cable tighter and secure the end of cable back to the caliper. Before doing this, I'd screw the adjuster bolt on the lever in almost to the end(may be 2-3 turns short), so that it will be possible to use for tightening the cable later. To pull the cable, you may use pliers.
    Still, before tightening the cable, I'd recommend to make sure the clearance between the inner pad and the rotor is not too big. The closer to the rotor it is (still without rubbing, of course), the better. Inner pad being farther from the rotor than needed, both makes for poor braking and bends the rotor.
    And a link to a very useful site - http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/
    Enter the "Disc mechanical - type" link in the left frame.

Transition Blindside v5
    Sorry to pull up this old thread, but I just obtained a Hayes MX-4 (it just came with something I bought used), and I'm not successfully finding an online instruction for it ( http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/suppor...c-brakes/mx-4/ ).

So, having had Avid BB7 with both inboard + outboard pad adjusters, I'm puzzled as to how to adjust the outboard pad on this MX-4. (I see that its inboard is via 5mm alen.) If no inboard adjustment, how do I deal with it when the pad start to wear down?

Thanks for your tip in advance.
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Sorry to pull up this old thread, but I just obtained a Hayes MX-4 (it just came with something I bought used), and I'm not successfully finding an online instruction for it ( http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/suppor...c-brakes/mx-4/ ).

So, having had Avid BB7 with both inboard + outboard pad adjusters, I'm puzzled as to how to adjust the outboard pad on this MX-4. (I see that its inboard is via 5mm alen.) If no inboard adjustment, how do I deal with it when the pad start to wear down?

Thanks for your tip in advance.
    - PiroChu
    adjust the outboard with the cable pinch bolt or barrel adjuster. sometimes you will bottom out the lever arm so you will need to reposition the caliper and readjust both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    lambiam and PiroChu, I've got a set of written instructions that I've developed over the years of wrenching bikes that cover adjustment of Promax and Hayes mechanical disc brakes. They're in a MS Word format and easily emailed. The instructions do assume a certain amount of mechanical ability, and the use of the proper tools.

If either or both of you would like a copy send me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot them to you.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Transition Blindside v5
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    adjust the outboard with the cable pinch bolt or barrel adjuster. sometimes you will bottom out the lever arm so you will need to reposition the caliper and readjust both.
    Ooooh, that's it? OK, that makes sense (though I don't quite like it/design, per se) now, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    anyone know how to make the same adjustment on hydraulic disc brakes?

Transition Blindside v5

We the people ... online PDF instruction shared for MX-2/-3/-4

Though there's no PDF instruction found specifically on MX-4 page at Hayes website, there's actually a PDF found under MX-3 & MX-2 pages that suffices, since it turns out that the instruction sheet is shared for MX-2 & MX-3 & MX-4 (while MX-1 page has a different MX1-specific PDF sheet).

Anyway, here it is...
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-con...EnglishWeb.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Does anyone who own this system (MX4) know which two bolts adjusts the caliper that deflects the disc rotor? Mine doesn't seem aligned with the disc rotor as one part of the rotor is rubbing with the caliper. I want to try adjusting the caliper first before truing the disc rotor.

mtbr member
    Bump Thats easy theirs a 4/5mm allen key slot near the rim twist that a little till you feel it braking again hayes brakes longevity suck but their readjusting is easy!