mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Adjusting caliper/disk

The front disk brake on my DB rubs, drives me nuts. The outside pad rubs, how do I split the difference so the disk runs free through the caliper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    The front disk brake on my DB rubs, drives me nuts. The outside pad rubs, how do I split the difference so the disk runs free through the caliper?
    What brakes are we talking about?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    What brakes are we talking about?
    Sorry, should have included that...

Tektro Novela disc 6" rotors

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Adjust the caliper on it's mount.

-RW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWanderer View Post
    Adjust the caliper on it's mount.

-RW
    +1......
    I can expound a little for you though. Loosen the two caliper mounting bolts. Squeeze the brake lever and hold it. While holding the brake lever incrementally and alternately tighten the bolts back down. Release brake lever. Squeeze brake lever on and off a few times. Should be centered better. If not, then visually re-center caliper.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    +1 on what ghettocop said....

I've found that if I "eyeball" the rotor (usually from the top of the caliper) against a white or well lit background I can re-center the caliper by hand pretty quickly. Where It gets tricky is when the rotor itself is slightly out of true. On a pair of BB7's I just adjust the pad gap to compensate for this. On my brand new pair of XT brakes with ice-tech rotors I actually had to employ the "ghetto truing" method to get the rotor to spin evenly since one rotor had a wobble right out of the box.

In this case the ghetto truing method = using an adjustable wrench cleaned with alcohol and a clean lint free cloth placed over the rotor to gently (doesn't take a lot of force) pry bad spots on the rotor back into alignment. I'm not recommending this solution but I've gone this route more than once to dial out that last little bit of rotor rub.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

DFMBA.org
    BikeRadar just posted this tutorial video/article this morning: How To Adjust Bike Disc Brakes - BikeRadar
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.