mtbr member
    Aug 2011

adjusting brake lever length of pull, BB5's

I searched both on Google and here and can not come up with an answer.

I got my BB5's dialed in at the rotor/caliper/pad's but the length of pull on the levers is absured, like 2 inchs. I want them alittle more "touchier" than that. Everthing I have read said to use the pad adjustment on the caliper to adjust the feel of the brakes, but I have them adjusted just short of rubbing like ur supposed to.

Before I start monkey ****ing around with the cables, barrel adjusters etc I figured I'd ask here first.

My gut feeling is that the cables need to be pulled further through the lock down nut at the torque arm but before I do that figured I'd check here to see if there are alternatives or if that is what needs to be done.

Levers are the stock ones that come with the BB5's.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
    J-

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There should be a tiny set screw on the lever that controls lever throw.

I have found that if you align the caliper (CPS method) while having the outside pad adjustment screwed in fairly far it results in more stopping power; that way the rotor is closer to the pad that is on the mechanical piston. This results in the piston moving less distance to brake on the rotor with more force. Try that and see how it goes. Lastly, you can always mess with the barrel adjusters or even twist the (mechanical) arm upwards and then clamp the cable down. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by mhoran89; 09-15-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I got em figured out and dialed in how I like em. Had to actually adjust the cable further through the torque arm on the calibers themselves to "preload" some the travel into the arm (if that makes sense).

With the torgue arm fully relaxed (how it came set up from the LBS) there was just to much travel to compensate for with the barrel adjusters.

Now there is only about 3/4inch of movement from completely disengaged to "braking hard" which is perfect for me.

Thanks to those that responded and stopped by just to see what I was asking.

J-

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
    Had to actually adjust the cable further through the torque arm on the calibers themselves to "preload" some the travel into the arm (if that makes sense). J-
    That's what I was trying to say. Glad you figured it out.