mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Adjusting Avid Juicy 3?

I just had my bike tuned up, which included new cables and adjustments. I also put organic pads on the front brakes to quiet the very loud Juicy 3s (Fuel EX 5). So far that works.

However, I have to do a lot more squeezing on both brakes with less stopping power. Before the tune-up, I could squeeze easily with one finger and have maximum stopping power. To point of locking the wheels with little effort from one finger. Now, the front wheel never locks and the lever squeezes down to almost the grip. Back brake is better than this but not by much.

Any idea how I can adjust these? Far as I know, Juicy 3 brakes have no adjustment in this manner but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    get the manual and locate the reach adjust allen screw. turn this to get the right lever feel. if that doesnt do it, you'll need a new bleed.

Tool
    If I'm reading right, your brakes worked better for you before the tune up. If so, you would be in the right if you wanted to take it back and ask the shop to make it right for you.

That having been said, new pads always need to bed themselves (wear into) the rotor, and stopping power is very weak until this happens. 20 to 40 stops (you're not actually supposed to come to a full stop while breaking in pads) usually yields enough power to lock a front wheel. Power usually continues to build for a ride or two.

Antoher thing that can cause excess lever travel and weak stopping is poor caliper alignment, but if the alignment is poor enough to cause weak stopping, it is usually accompanied by rub. The only time I've had weak braking form alignment has been after a crash where either the caliper was badly misaligned, or the rotor bent.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks. This is my first ride after the tune-up. So I'll go a couple of more to see what happens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bed in the pads.
    Go to a paved area...get cranking and do a few hard stops.
    Done