Kid disguised as an adult

Adjustable lever travel question

Do the systems that have adjustable lever travel before engagement (as opposed to lever position adjustments) simply preload the system, thereby reducing the clearance between the pads and rotor when not engaged, or do they have a more clever way of achieving it?

...idios...
    With the Hope Tech lever, the adjustment does not change the distance between the pads and rotor. The adjustment alters the position of the bite-point in the lever's throw (which is also adjustable) and makes for a very high degree of tuning. Should I find myself in an idle moment, I'll strip one down and reveal all...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Both my mid leval Elixirs and my girl friends Shimano M485 (the lowest cost hydros in the Shimano line) let you adjust the lever reach without changing the pad spacing.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ric426
    Do the systems that have adjustable lever travel before engagement (as opposed to lever position adjustments) simply preload the system, thereby reducing the clearance between the pads and rotor when not engaged, or do they have a more clever way of achieving it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    With the Hope Tech lever, the adjustment does not change the distance between the pads and rotor. The adjustment alters the position of the bite-point in the lever's throw (which is also adjustable) and makes for a very high degree of tuning.
    Juicy 7's as well.

Kid disguised as an adult
    Thanks, but I'm not talking about the lever reach adjustment. I think most brakes have that. If you change the reach to the levers, the distance they have to travel before the pads contact the rotors is still the same. I'm referring to the adjustment for where in the lever travel the pads contact the rotors. My current brakes don't have that adjustment and have more travel than I like. I can cheat it by giving the levers a squeeze without the rotor in place, but that also reduces the clearance and makes pad rub more likely.

Can anyone tell me if the Magura Louise BAT brakes change the pad clearance along with the bite point adjustment?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No, the BAT don't change the pad clearance, the BAT adjusment only move a spring inside lever.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ric426
    Thanks, but I'm not talking about the lever reach adjustment. I think most brakes have that. If you change the reach to the levers, the distance they have to travel before the pads contact the rotors is still the same. I'm referring to the adjustment for where in the lever travel the pads contact the rotors. My current brakes don't have that adjustment and have more travel than I like. I can cheat it by giving the levers a squeeze without the rotor in place, but that also reduces the clearance and makes pad rub more likely.

Can anyone tell me if the Magura Louise BAT brakes change the pad clearance along with the bite point adjustment?
    I have the Magura BATs, and no, they don't change the pad distance.