mtbr member
    Nov 2007

adding rear disc to my rockhopper

hey, i was wondering if it would be possible to add rear disc brakes to my rockhopper.I have disc in the front but have no mount in the back. is there any way i could weld a bracket on the back to hold my caliper, like most bike come with? has anyone done it before?
    rockhopper w/ marzocchi z1 wedge, hayes mechanical front disc

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would take the easier road and buy one of those adapter things that bolt on. I forgot what they are called. Quick! someone on MTBR must know before he welds.
    Leave no bolt untuned!

Meh.
    A2Z, Brake Therapy, and MAYBE Specialized all make one. You'll also need a disc hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Break Therapy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    BRAKE THERAPY,Sorry

BVK
    Feb 2005
    I posted A2Z adapter mod somwhere - search my recent (Dec 07) post
    Attached Images Attached Images

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    How old is your frame? I had a '99 Stumpy FSR and there was not enough clearance for even 160mm (small) rotors from the chainstays so I had to stick with V's. If you have mate with a disc wheel just try it in your frame to see if the rotor fouls the chainstay before you start spending on parts.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    Billyboy197, a good point, before considering an adapter do all measurements you can, what you described is the most important. Once you get the adapter you are $40 in the hole and it may not work. In my set-up it worked but more by luck than my knowledge. One other criteriom is that the dropout should be flat, no welds and so on. My frame is about 99 Merlin.