Thread: Adaptor bolts ?

Huckin' trails

Adaptor bolts ?

Hey, have to get longer bolts for my rear 203mm IS adaptors and I was wondering if there was a particular metal grade required for those. I'll have to run ~5mm spacers and I won't go cheap where it matter the most.

I saw a few steel, stainless steel, high tensile steel and different Ti grade bolts on eBay, but I could also stop by my hardware store if I don't need some special grade bolts.

Thanks a lot,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

MTB B'dos
    David, I've never bothered with anything fancy, I normally will get the black hardened bolts down here as we don't seem to get SS with allen heads easily, but if we did I'd use them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Huckin' trails
    Thanks. I think my store might have some SS Allen head bolts, just hope they have the right size then.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They'll be 6mm.

Huckin' trails
    Yeah, M6x0.75 if I remember correctly. I'll double-check with my thread chart.

Edit : M6x1.0 thread
    Last edited by David C; 04-15-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Huckin' trails
    Called my local shop.

They have M6 bolts by 30mm long, allen socket head, steel grade 8.8, full head (not the button type head).

$0.48/each or $10 for a box of 25.

Seems like a good deal.

Huckin' trails
    Got the M6x30mm socket head bolts. They are grade 12.9 steel. But not as black oil finish as the stock ones, they are more grey. Good since it match the bike a lot better, but the shape of the head isn't. Bah, you can't have everything you want in life (with limited resources )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adaptor bolts ?-dscn0225_web.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Got the M6x30mm socket head bolts. They are grade 12.9 steel. But not as black oil finish as the stock ones, they are more grey. Good since it match the bike a lot better, but the shape of the head isn't. Bah, you can't have everything you want in life (with limited resources )
    Off the topic but just for my own (and that of other members' as well) education, what frame-rear-hub combination are you using that necessitates the use of such thick spacers on the disc adapters?
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    Off the topic but just for my own (and that of other members' as well) education, what frame-rear-hub combination are you using that necessitates the use of such thick spacers on the disc adapters?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/iron-horse/yakuza-aniki-rear-spacing-777235.html

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    Cobba just nailed it.

And to answer your question more exactly, I use pretty much standard parts that I convert into non-standard parts. I like tweaking around. The frame was suppose to be a 135x10 rear axle, but somehow ended up to be at 142 instead out of the factory. I really don't know why. So I bought a 174mm long solid axle and swap the stock hollow QR 135mm axle. But since the hub was designed for a 135mm frame, I have a 7mm gap to fill. I could have space the rotor, but I think it was easier to space in the adaptor.