mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Ack! Juicy 5 rear disc brake locked up completely

I just came back from vacation the other day and after 3 weeks of not pedaling i feel the urge to ride...to my dismay as i got on my steed i noticed my entire rear brake is locked up. I can't even get the rear wheel to move at all without a lot of force. I can still move the lever and there's play in it but when i try moving the rear wheel it's stuck and locked up.

How do I go about fixing this? Do I have to bleed the system?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    just push the pistons back in the caliper...

ride hard take risks
    Did you wash your bike before you went on vacation without it??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ^^ Come to think of it I think i did hose it down and dry it before jetting off.

I'll push the piston back towards the caliper and see if that does the trick.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by -=phelan=-
    ^^ Come to think of it I think i did hose it down and dry it before jetting off.

I'll push the piston back towards the caliper and see if that does the trick.
    Clean the caliper pistons off with a tooth brush & dont be afraid to shoot a little silicone lube on them beffor pushing the pistons back. Clean off the lube with Brake & Contact clean.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    Check carefully for any leaks or wet spots. You may have a leak which is allowing the DOT fluid to absorb moisture from the air.

If you cannot push the pistons all the back into the caliper, then you may have a system that is overfilled. Open the lever bleed port and then try to push the pistons back. The pad backings should sit flush with the caliper body.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ^^ mucho thanks to all the advice and it was just a simple caliper piston issue.

Is it normal that overtime without any use the piston just wants to push outwards? As I've only had these brakes coming up to a season now.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by -=phelan=-
    ^^ mucho thanks to all the advice and it was just a simple caliper piston issue.

Is it normal that overtime without any use the piston just wants to push outwards? As I've only had these brakes coming up to a season now.
    Possibly it was hot inside & the fluid expanded a little & just never retracted.
    Formotion Products