mtbr member

New question here. Ace Vs Saint Which One

looking to buy one of these

mtbr member
    I have ridden both quite a bit. Both awesome brakes with pads that last an extremely long time. I'd say go with Hayes if you like DOT fluid brakes and Saint if you like mineral oil brakes. I think the Hayes can be had for a lot less as well.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love my Ace's!

Legend
    Nov 2004
    If you want the best; get the Saints ... they are honestly VERY nice with a LOT of modulation and power ... I doubt anyone would say otherwise. If you're looking to save a few bucks, want white brakes, prefer Hayes-style bleeding better ... get them.

Both brakes are quite nice, but the Saints are definitely the best, if money is no object. Note the Shimanos have no rebuild kits, the Hayes almost positively do. Shimano parts are relatively cheap of CRC however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    Both brakes are quite nice, but the Saints are definitely the best, if money is no object.

Note the Shimanos have no rebuild kits, the Hayes almost positively do.
    That's definitely an important factor to consider. I remember some dude got cheap chinese pads - took off part of his brake piston when he tried to remove them and he was screwed b/c shimano don't sell rebuild kits parts. Just for that, I'd steer clear of all shimano brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    That's definitely an important factor to consider. I remember some dude got cheap chinese pads - took off part of his brake piston when he tried to remove them and he was screwed b/c shimano don't sell rebuild kits parts. Just for that, I'd steer clear of all shimano brakes.

Or cheap chinese pads

banned
    Apr 2010
    For me, rebuildability is a huge part of most purchases. Refreshing something to like new performance is a big deal. However, in this case, I still have to vote Saint. Hayes has not yet proven itself with its new brake line, especially the standard stroker, and those who are praising the standard Stroker from the beginning, well, their motivation, as well as extremes to which they ride, are questionable. Hayes is improving, but one thing that I don't get about them is the old old ones were good for DH, but they can't make anything in their new line with even decent fade resistance, or resistance to changing characteristics when hot.

If the Saints are anything like the 755 predecessor, then they will last years only with fluid changes.

If you can swing it, want the four piston, proven track record, rebuildability, and use of cheap xt 755 pads which are available anywhere, I'd go with the Hope m4. CRC and others have them running for steals, which might make the Stroker Ace non-relevant.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Saints hands done.
    Best brakes I have ever had.
    However not the cheapest either or the lightest.

I am a big guy and the braking power is un real in steep conditions.

I have also not used Ace either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edzwa
    Or cheap chinese pads
    that too. also add baby formula and toys to the list.