mtbr member

Absolutely done with my Juicy 7.

After running these things for two seasons I am done with the noise (grinding, turkey noise, squeals), maintenance, poor feel, and grabbing brakes.

I was looking at the XTR brakes. Is it going to make me happy? Ride cross country mainly but live in CO so there are long downhills.

I am done with anything that has "Avid" in the beginning.

Dropshot Champ!
    i ditched my juicy 5's a year ago and went XT (m775s). Besides changing pads, and a lil squeak in the rain, it's a greaaaat setitandforgetit brake package.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    IMO the XTs (M775) are a better bet than the XTRs (M975). They're cheaper, but use the same pads and have a servowave adjustment that the XTRs don't have. XTRs would be lighter if that's what you're after.

I had J7s on 1 of my bikes but I sold them. I didn't suffer from any turkey noises but I didn't get on with their lack of modulation. My XTs, on another bike, have a lot better modulation and have been faultless in nearly 2yrs of riding.

Dual Squishy...
    In the process of ditching my J7s for a set of Saints. Almost did XTs but read where some had issues in cold weather riding. Had all the problems of typical J7 owners and tried many of the suggested fixes which only helped temporarily at best. Saints should be on by next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've got 800 miles on my Juicy 7s with zero issues. I couldn't ask for better. Oh, I found that Kool Stop pads are nearly squeakless even when wet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by glagola1
    I've got 800 miles on my Juicy 7s with zero issues. I couldn't ask for better. Oh, I found that Kool Stop pads are nearly squeakless even when wet.
    Which Kool Stops pads do you use on your Juicy 7s? On their website, I see the KS-D270, KS-D270a, AND KS-D270s. Not sure which is best for stopping squeaks.

Religion = Non-thinking
    yea my elixir levers + juicy 3 calipers suck, nonstop squealing, vibrating, and poor modulation. The set cam stock on my 2010 rockhopper SL Pro named the Elixir 4's.

Whats a good brake upgrade for me?
    RH SL Pro

Picture Unrelated
    Can't go wrong with Shimano brakes. Love me some XTs.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

roll hard
    Oct 2009
    you can send me your juicy 7s when you are done with them...

mtbr member
    I've had 5 sets of Avid brakes(2 BB7's, Juicy 3 & 7, Code), but my Juicy 3 & 7 were the worst for noise, vibrations, and poor lever feel (no matter how many bleeds or braided lines)
    I moved to Magura brakes (Louise BAT) and absolutely love them. Only make noise right after getting wet, which I haven't found brakes yet that don't. So far no vibrations, no fade problems, and the levers feel awesome. I'm a big guy and put my brakes through their paces, and the Magura's have held up awesome.

The lever / master cylinder layout made it really easy to get my shifter and brake levers adjust just how I like them, something I was never really able to do with my Juicy's.

Yayer!
    I had two different pairs of Juicy 7's completely sh!t the bed on me last year, the levers would randomly pull all the way to the grip....dangerous. Bleeding would not solve the problem, so it was not an air bubble issue either. Anyway, I moved to Hope Tech M4's....ridiculously awesome brakes.
    Broken ankles = bullshit!

mtbr member
    I like the look of the XT brakes but the cold weather issues is a bit unsettling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wankel7
    I like the look of the XT brakes but the cold weather issues is a bit unsettling.

How cold is cold weather?? I am in the process of changing over my brakes on my DBR X10 dinosaur. It sat and the calipers are about junk. I have XT on the front and the rear is gremeca. I was leaning towards the m775. Do they still have the cold weather issue?

I live in New England so we have COLD.

mtbr member
    Check out the reviews section of MTBR for the calipers. Doesn't look too good and I don't know if the problem has been addressed.

T.W.O.

Magura is also good

I ran Martas and Louies Bat Carbon. Feel and modulate great. I have a few J7 and hate the lever feel, though the carbon feel a bit stiffer and more positive lever feel. I upgrade the lever to Dualie by Twenty6. It change the lever feel and offers more control and modulation, looks cool as well. It was the cheapest way to make my brake better, and it did.

It did not eliminate noise or squeal but i regularly clean my pad to keep it tolerable to live with. One would think that Avid would engineer that problem out first since it's been many generation already.

http://www.twenty6products.com/products/

Skullhead
    This will stop your squeal
    Got disc brake squeal !
    http://www.squealout.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hanses
    This will stop your squeal
    Squeelout?

Do you have the MSDS for stuff? Very interested in your product.

Thanks,

Bryan D
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ok, I had Juicy 7's and they were terrible. Squeaky loud, and sometimes felt so greasy that they nealry didn't stop.
    Got XT's on my new bike (the latest editions, late 2010) and they are the bomb! Used em in a 27 degree ride last weekend and no problem in the cold, the latest ones I have heard and can confirm are issue free regarding cold.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com