Mr. Shibing

A2Z Universal Adapter problem experienced and solutions

[SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"]I personally do not know if other people has experienced the problems I'm having now, but here are just couple easy things to work them out.

If you cannot see the pictures, please let me know. Thanks.

A2Z adapter is really a good thing to get for a older frame, it's cheaper than most of the adapters, and easy to install, pretty much worry-free if you check your brakes set regularly. Okay, let me start to describe the problems with A2Z adapter.

1. The biggest one, the adapter will rotate back if you brake in short distance and not releasing your rear brake until completely stop. Just like the picture I showed below, after I rode home one day. The picture is pretty much self-explanatory.

2. This problem is because of the rotating. The adapter would scratch the paint off and result a serious problem if you don't take care of it early. It keep scratch the paint and materials off, there will be a day, the adapter come to loose and can't even fix it.

3. The 3rd problem is related to the 2nd one. Due to the adapter keep rotating, just like the picture showed above, the laying-part of the adapter will keep hitting on the frame, and cause the scratch. Just think if days goes by, it will eventually cause some problem.

OOOkay, to solve these problems described above, Here are couple thoughts and things need to do. It may take some time, but I personally think it worth it.

1&2※3. The rotating problem may solved by relying on the rack mount. My bike has a rack mount that right at the end of the adapter.

So I basically drilled a hole on the adapter, and put a screw through the adapter and laying on the rack mount. The laying-part clicking on frame problem can be solved too by adding a plastic tube on the frame, just like the picture I'm showing below.

Finally, comes to the end, I sanded a nut to very thin to secure the screw, and make sure check the brake set every week.

Well, here it is.

Well, maybe I just not doing the adapter right, or I'm just wasting of time. Comments are welcomed.

Thank you for reading the long one through.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    A Chinaman in the States. Here we go!

cougarbait
    nice work
    doesn't really look like that bike needs a disc in the rear though
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Live 2 Ride
    Nice. Maybe this will end up in FAQs.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Do you think a zip tie will work?

Mr. Shibing
    Quote Originally Posted by CAxHomer View Post
    Do you think a zip tie will work?
    Personally I feel safer with the bolt.

Zip tie(plastic) hardens through time, especially with the dirt and possible salt on the road. Just like glass, hard, but easy to crack and break.

With a bolt, with some good grease when you bolt it in, it lasts almost forever.

hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I took your advice and drilled two holes to match the rear rack holes and fastened it with 2 stainless steal bolts. While I was at it I cut out a channel in the outer silver plate to allow me to remove the wheel without removing the QR. I wonder if I can cut the bottom half of the A2Z and just have it fastened on the rear rack holes? Thanks for the advice.

Mr. Shibing
    I took your advice and drilled two holes to match the rear rack holes and fastened it with 2 stainless steal bolts. While I was at it I cut out a channel in the outer silver plate to allow me to remove the wheel without removing the QR. I wonder if I can cut the bottom half of the A2Z and just have it fastened on the rear rack holes? Thanks for the advice.
    I haven't tried that yet. Although personally I don't mind taking off the QR. It's just couple of more twists and you'll be done in no time.

Just didn't feel like sacrifice the possible durability of the adapter for the convenience.

Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Nice. Maybe this will end up in FAQs.
    Great idea, I vote for FAQs as well!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    did you have to adjust the rear derailur after installing the adapter? I had to do some major adjustments. Did I install it incorrectly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

X50 custom A2Z adaptor install.

I cut the adaptor right above the X50s rear mount brows and drilled holes where the bike rear rack holes are located. I also painted the exposed area due to the cutting and polished out the A2Z logo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A2Z Universal Adapter problem experienced and solutions-img_3839.jpg  

A2Z Universal Adapter problem experienced and solutions-img_3837.jpg  

A2Z Universal Adapter problem experienced and solutions-img_3832.jpg  

A2Z Universal Adapter problem experienced and solutions-img_3831.jpg  

A2Z Universal Adapter problem experienced and solutions-img_3830.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread but I'm looknig to convert a bike with this adapter but cannot find it in teh U.S. Does anyone know where I might find one fo these?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    amazon.com

mtbr member
    amazon.com
    Tried it. Nothing came up. Feebay neither....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    dang it says not available anymore sorry man you might want to wait or try a different brand.

mtbr member
    Bummer! I'm trying to put disc brakes on my kids 20" mtb and this universal mount was the only one I could find that would fit.

Thanks!