mtbr member
    Feb 2011

a2z disk break adapter?

I saw a late 90's GT with one of these adapters on it so they could run disk brakes. Does anyone know if this could be used on any bike that does not have rear disk tabs? Thanks for the help.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    well I did a search for this and it came up blank, so I posted this and then actually went to page two on the main page and it was right at the top of the page so if you want to answer great if you just want to call me a jack-ass thats cool also

bumbles bounce
    Try

http://cgi.ebay.com/A2Z-Rear-Disc-Br...item4cf615a3ea

Just picked one up myself. You need a flat & fairly large rear dropout for it to fit. I've seen others modify it to meet their needs. The seller's product info down the page has an installation link with decent pictures. You might need to zoom in on it. I did.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I put one on my wife's 98 Homegrown at her insistence. It seems to work well. No frame damage or even marred paint to report.
    I wouldn't use it for DH ridng.

ballbuster
    I dunno.

I mean, these things have been around for a while, but I have to ask:

Why not just get a disc tab frame? I mean, they're a dime a dozen used, and the seat stays, chainstays, and dropouts are already engineered to take that massive torque from the disc brakes, and you probably won't have odd alignment issues causing your brake pads to drag.

Your frame has not been designed around it.

I've seen brake mounts break on frames that come with the tabs from the factory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I dunno.

I mean, these things have been around for a while, but I have to ask:

Why not just get a disc tab frame? I mean, they're a dime a dozen used, and the seat stays, chainstays, and dropouts are already engineered to take that massive torque from the disc brakes, and you probably won't have odd alignment issues causing your brake pads to drag.

Your frame has not been designed around it.

I've seen brake mounts break on frames that come with the tabs from the factory.
    Yeah I asked my self the same question. My answer is that I love my bike. It is a 98' GF hookoo steel frame that rides like a dream. To be honest I really don't have any issues with the V-brakes that are on it. I was just thinking of upgrading to some nice flashy disk brakes. But I think I will save my $$ and use it for some other upgrades.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by kitts21j
    ...if you just want to call me a jack-ass thats cool also
    OK, jack ass!

Keep the V-brakes and sink your cash into some tasty carbon bits or new wheelset instead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier
    OK, jack ass!

Keep the V-brakes and sink your cash into some tasty carbon bits or new wheelset instead.