Thread: 8" & my setup?

S*it Happens!

8" & my setup?

Hello, I was wondering if you thought I might have the same problems that Iíve been reading in the other thread.

I wanted to change my front disk from a 160mm to a 203mm. Itís an AM fork. In addition, my brakes donít have the stopping power like most hydraulics. Do you think Iíll be fine or should I look for a strait through bolt w/a locking nut to be safe and ditch the QR all together.

Fork: RockShox Revelation 409
    Brakes: Avid BB5
    Hubs: WTB SpeedDisc w/ QR

Fred.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like lifeÖthe trail is unpredictable...

LBS Manager
    I know lots of guys who run 8" rotors on QR hubs with hydros and they have zero issues. I think you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Insert standard reply here:
    Check with Rock Shox. They know what their fork is designed for. Follow their recommendations. Not too hard there, right?

Ride on
    Jan 2004

not so clear cut

Some months ago I was looking at my options for increasing the size of the rotor on my front brake. Fox says my 2005 32mm Vanilla can accept any rotor up to 203mm, but Hayes doesn't explicitly sell the adapter needed to mount their 8" rotor on a QR fork. I later read on this forum that Hayes doesn't recommend the usage of 8" rotors on any QR fork. It seems like you can't get a straight answer on this issue even from the manufacturers.

Meh.
    Fox did beef up the Vanilla quite a bit. Earlier Vanillas were known to crack at the dropouts/tabs when ran with larger rotors.

It's a touchy issue in our sue-happy society. It may be a safety issue, and it may cause acclerated or increased wear on the fork bushings.

Double-metric mtb man
    Fox said my Float 130 could handle a 203 and I had absolutely no issues finding an adapter for the 8" rotor on a QR fork....and it is a Hayes adapter, not some aftermarket job.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Are you talking to me?

What about the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    Hello, I was wondering if you thought I might have the same problems that I’ve been reading in the other thread.

I wanted to change my front disk from a 160mm to a 203mm. It’s an AM fork. In addition, my brakes don’t have the stopping power like most hydraulics. Do you think I’ll be fine or should I look for a strait through bolt w/a locking nut to be safe and ditch the QR all together.

Fork: RockShox Revelation 409
    Brakes: Avid BB5
    Hubs: WTB SpeedDisc w/ QR

Fred.

that info is in the manual.

Edit:check this out.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15542-315_ROCRV7_KIT-43-Brands-212-Rock-Shox-Forks/Rockshox-Revelation-426-Air-U-Turn-Suspension-Fork-'07-w_-Deus-XC-Headset.htm

Not quite the same fork, but the same lowers. look tward the bottom, it says no rotors OVER 203mm.
    Last edited by damion; 02-17-2007 at 02:10 AM.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Revelation Max Rotor size

I called Rockshox UK they said the max size for a revelation is 203mm which is one of the reasons for upgrading my MX comp which I had run for nearly 2 years with a 203 rotor no problems at all and I like braking heavy and late, but it always played on my mind so when I got the money together I got the right fork for the job Brakes and AM.

S*it Happens!
    Thanks for your help. I guess I'll order that rotor after all. But I have a question about the mount. I know I need a 203mm IS mount...But what is this one? "QR 20 203mm"

Click Here Look at the Choose type drop down tab.

Fred
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Are you talking to me?

Not the QR20.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    Thanks for your help. I guess I'll order that rotor after all. But I have a question about the mount. I know I need a 203mm IS mount...But what is this one? "QR 20 203mm"

Click Here Look at the Choose type drop down tab.

Fred

What you need is the IS 203, I think. THe QR20 is for the older QR20 Marzocchi forks.

Be sure to use a high quality QR also.
    gfy

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Be sure to use a high quality QR also.
    I'll second that. I recently swapped out the stockers on my bike for a nice set of Hope QR's. Nice to see some metal in there, not just plastic!!!

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    I'll second that. I recently swapped out the stockers on my bike for a nice set of Hope QR's. Nice to see some metal in there, not just plastic!!!
    I'll do that. Where did you get yours and are they all the same as far as size?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm using standard QR's on my ride, so no issue with the fit.

One of my LBS can bring in Hope skewers and had a set in another color for me to look at. Another had Salsa Flip-offs. Personally, I preferred the Hopes.

For the price (cheaper) and time (about the same for shipping), I just went with Monk-a-moo via an online order....saved me another trip to the other side of town and saved more than a few bucks.

S*it Happens!
    Well I have BB5's now and I was going to just upgrade my front rotor from a 160 to a 203mm. Price Point had the rotor for $39 and the IS adapter for $10 more. I did a search online and found a 203mm BB7's setup for only $68.33. Caliper, Rotor, IS adapter. So I going to go with that and just leave the bb5 in back for now.

It looks like JensonUSA has the hope QR's I think it was $35 a set... Nice colors as well!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)