gnar, brah

New question here. 8 inch upgrade?...

The front brake (Hayes mech) on my hardtail really sucks. I know it needs new pads, and will be buying these shortly. I was thinking though, I should use this opportunity to upgrade to some eight inch rotors at the same time. It has the six inch now. I know I can use about any eight inch rotor on it, but where is the best place to get one really cheap? eBay has been pretty useless for rotors above six inches. Also, the adaptor or mounting bracket..where can I get one of these cheaply? I think I might have one, but I'm not really sure. I know it is a Hayes part of some kind. Anybody have a description of what it should look like? The fork is a '03 Psylo SL, so it has the 51mm I.S. mounts. Thanks.
    Trestle Bike Park

gnar, brah
    Here is a crappy paint image I made of the adapter. Does anybody know what this thing does because I sure don't.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trestle Bike Park

Bad Hand In Life

Rotors...

Hey, I am upgrading the rotors on my bike (Witch Doctor), actually change of breaks. Switching from Magura Julies to my old XC bikes Hayes Mechs. Will be putting a 8in rotor on front, rear end can't take any more than a 6in. But, I have had with Aztec products, 6in rotors, but they just came out with a 8in rotor for $32. These work, in my experience, much better than Hayes and cost the same. Airbomb.com sells these rotors, and Hayes if you prefer those, as well as the Psylo 8in adapter for something like $10. By the way, I have a a modified Psylo C for reference. Be sure to use the code on MTBR main page for the 10% discount. Not sure how my brakes work yet, because UPS crushed the package and lost some parts before it reached me and will eventually get to me this week (hopefully not screwed up).

29 some of the time...
    I can't say that rotors are ever cheap. Pretty much all components of disc systems are holding value. You want cheap, buy v-brake stuff E-bay is going to be the best bet. Just be patient.

Another option is the avid rotors and adapters. They are typically a bit less money. Also it gives the option of 7"/185mm rotors. 185mm rotors are great for clydes, not as powerful as 205 but just right for all around riding.

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    The front brake (Hayes mech) on my hardtail really sucks. I know it needs new pads, and will be buying these shortly. I was thinking though, I should use this opportunity to upgrade to some eight inch rotors at the same time. It has the six inch now. I know I can use about any eight inch rotor on it, but where is the best place to get one really cheap? eBay has been pretty useless for rotors above six inches. Also, the adaptor or mounting bracket..where can I get one of these cheaply? I think I might have one, but I'm not really sure. I know it is a Hayes part of some kind. Anybody have a description of what it should look like? The fork is a '03 Psylo SL, so it has the 51mm I.S. mounts. Thanks.

if you want true 8" rotors, i have a pair. they came with my hope MonoM4's. spider design. just downsized to 7". nice looking too.

http://www.lab-z.com/as-x/images/IMG_2649.jpg
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.