mtbr member
    Jun 2004

8 inch to 6 inch?

i am going to be getting my slayer in about a week, and it comes with an 8 inch rotor in the front and a 6 inch rotor in the rear, i was wondering if i could easily swap the 8 inch for another 6 inch in the front, the reason i want to do this is because i will be using the bike for mostly xc riding, and i want to save weight in any way possible.
    thanks for any help

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by antonovc
    i am going to be getting my slayer in about a week, and it comes with an 8 inch rotor in the front and a 6 inch rotor in the rear, i was wondering if i could easily swap the 8 inch for another 6 inch in the front, the reason i want to do this is because i will be using the bike for mostly xc riding, and i want to save weight in any way possible.
    thanks for any help
    I'm looking to do the exact opposite for my 03 slayer, and I have new XT rotors to offer as a possible trade. You should email me and we can see if we can swap new parts and both end up with what we want. That would be pretty

phunkbiker AT SkiingIsMyLife DOT com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    would xt rotors work with the stock hayes brakes? i think that i might check with the shop that i am ordering the bike from and see if i can just swap them even before i put the bike together, otherwise i will contact you

thanks for the offer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for any help
    If the bike has a 20mm thru axle fork and you are using Hayes brakes you will need the special 20mm 6" adapter, If it is a standard QR fork the regular 6" adapter will work.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    would xt rotors work with the stock hayes brakes? i think that i might check with the shop that i am ordering the bike from and see if i can just swap them even before i put the bike together, otherwise i will contact you

thanks for the offer
    Yes, they will work just fine. I've thought about it more and I'd still be saving money (compared to buying a 8" rotor retail) if I offered to pay the shipping for you to send me your rotors. So... I'll pay shipping for both of us to exchange rotors plus a few bucks to make it worth your time. Let me know if you're interested and we can nail down the exact details to make sure this will work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    that sounds like an excellent deal, i will be getting my bike within the week, i will first try to see if my LBS will swap them right off (just to save time) otherwise i will be in touch...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    well i just talked to the lbs today, and they said that they would probably be able to switch the rotors out for me, and it will cost be very little, so thanks for the offer, but it looks like i will be getting the bike with the 6 inch rotors all around. if it turns out that they dont do it for some reason i will let you know