mtbr member
    Mar 2004

7" too much for the front???

Okay, everytime I think I've decided on going with the Avid 7" mechanicals I read in a post that says something like '7" is too much for front - almost scary" or "...the 7 inchers have poor modulation - they are either on or off". Then I read posts on 6" getting hot and fading... argh - what's the deal?

Anyway - was hoping to get some feedback from people who have maybe tried both - the 6" and 7" discs.

I'm going to just be doing the front at first and the rear later. Going to mate them to my current XTR levers. 180 aggresive XC rider in CO.
    Early bird may get the worm.... but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by condoor
    Okay, everytime I think I've decided on going with the Avid 7" mechanicals I read in a post that says something like '7" is too much for front - almost scary" or "...the 7 inchers have poor modulation - they are either on or off". Then I read posts on 6" getting hot and fading... argh - what's the deal?

Anyway - was hoping to get some feedback from people who have maybe tried both - the 6" and 7" discs.

I'm going to just be doing the front at first and the rear later. Going to mate them to my current XTR levers. 180 aggresive XC rider in CO.
    I used a 185mm Avid mech up front for about a year - loved it. Tried 160mm Avid up front a while back and I thought it was really lacking in power - and I was on a relatively tame trail at the time. Maybe I am just used to the 185mm disc.... but I never felt like I had "too much" power with a 185mm up front.

If you are 180lbs, and ride hard in hilly terrain - I don't think you need to be afraid of a 185 up front. The faster you go, the better they feel.

Unshaven Yak

203 here

I just jumped from a 160 to the 203mm setup & I'm diggin' it. Thats always been the beauty of the avids, you can adjust them to feel exactly how you'd like!

No problem with too much stopping power or anything, it's just as much modulation, just more juice when you want it. Plus the rotor looks goood!

mtbr member
    185f 160r here... Love the combo.

I already rode that

I'm using 6" rotors atm since going to disks broke me financially. I was going to buy 8" rotors eventually but 6" are working for me right now.

People that say 8" are too much are prob just weight weenies or dont ride hard enough to need that extra braking power. I put those kind of people as the ones that said you wouldnt need 4" of travel for xc a few years ago yet look at bikes now.

The only problem with going 8" is the rotors usually cost more.
    I ride agressive too. So my friends say anyways, I say I just ride normally

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I had problems with the 6"s glazing over and overheating. They weren't terrible, but under those circumstances they were just adaquiate. The 203 in the front helped immensely with heat dissapation. I think the 7" would be a pretty good improvement. The only negative is the weight, and if you can get past that then it's great.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I came off V-brakes to 160mm Avid's. Much better modulation and stopping power. I ride quite a bit of steep singletrack. I was fading slightly @ the end of my runs. I decided to go w/ a 185mm up front. After my first ride I didn't notice much of a difference in modulation fade was gone. On the next ride I found myself paying a bit of attention to the amount of force I used to apply the brake - I was on/ off braking. Turns out I had more power w/ less modulation. Had I started w/ 7's I' d probably still be thrilled over v's I just got used to the amount of modulation w/ the 6's. I did go back to the 160 front and will save the 185 if I start riding where my brakes really fade out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was once again leaning on the 7" and then Keen chimed in...

Keen - I'm curious how much you weigh? And if you (you being the general audience here) think weight makes a difference. I would imagine that where a 7" may give good modulation to a 180lb rider for instance, that same brake may have a tendency to feel on/off to a 120lb rider....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I was once again leaning on the 7" and then Keen chimed in...

Keen - I'm curious how much you weigh? And if you (you being the general audience here) think weight makes a difference. I would imagine that where a 7" may give good modulation to a 180lb rider for instance, that same brake may have a tendency to feel on/off to a 120lb rider....
    I weigh 190lbs.... My advice go w/ the 185's. I hit the trails today and found that the 160 takes quite a bit of force to slow the bike down on fast steep trails. Like I said you will get used to it especially since you never ran 160's. My Fox Vanilla fork technically doesn't support 180mm or larger discs so I have more issues @ hand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Going with the 7's...

I ordered the 7"er this afternoon from Universal Cycles ($77 - price matched phattire.com). Thanks to all who posted.

-c

Unshaven Yak

Good choice.

You'll be happy!