Thread: 7" rotor = ? mm

Another festivus MIRACLE!

7" rotor = ? mm

203mm rotor is 8" and I'm sure 185mm = 7"?

160mm = 6"?
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

mtbr member
    7" = 177.8 mm. In the biking world this would be rounded up to 180mm.
    Get over it!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    7" = 177.8 mm. In the biking world this would be rounded up to 180mm.
    Or 185mm.

I wish the use of 6", 7", 8" and now 9" for rotor size would just be dropped. There are too many exceptions in actual diameters. Just use the actual size, preferably in mm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Lord of the Chainrings
    I have Hayes 7" rotors on my AM Santa Cruz Nomad. Love 'em!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    I have Hayes 7" rotors on my AM Santa Cruz Nomad. Love 'em!
    I bet they do not measure exactly 7". I have no clue whether they are 180mm or 185 and the Hayes web site is no help.
    mtbtires.com

Double-metric mtb man
    Eh, all bike stuff should be metric ...that would solve a lot of problems. Besides, we're 1/2 way there anyway (all the hex bolts are metric, forks are metric, some mfgr's are listing rear travel in metric...even tires are stamped with the metric size even if referred to by imperial).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Or 185mm.

I wish the use of 6", 7", 8" and now 9" for rotor size would just be dropped. There are too many exceptions in actual diameters. Just use the actual size, preferably in mm.
    Don't forget there is also Hope's 183mm rotors in that range (maybe even Magura Louise FR's 190mm, since their "eight incher" was 210mm)

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Don't forget there is also Hope's 183mm rotors in that range (maybe even Magura Louise FR's 190mm, since their "eight incher" was 210mm)
    My point exactly. Using the 6, 7, 8-inch designations implies the rotors are all interchangeable when they may not be. And this is ignoring the braking track width differences (mostly a Shimano rotor issue).
    mtbtires.com

My point exactly. Using the 6, 7, 8-inch designations implies the rotors are all interchangeable when they may not be. And this is ignoring the braking track width differences (mostly a Shimano rotor issue).
    Totally agree...

besides ... metric rules!
    Last edited by crisillo; 02-26-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Tottally agree...

besides ... metric rules!
    I have lots of metric rulers! and tape measures

The crazy thing in the US is the expensive tape measure are imperial-only while the cheapest ones have the imperial scale on one edge and metric on the other.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Your northern cousins went metric 'cause we were told that's the way our major trading partner was going...hasn't happened yet! For a guy who went to school and learned imperial it's tough to figure out what someone is talking about when it's in metric.

Here's one for our American cousins...did you know that an imperial gallon is 160 ounces while an American gallon is 128 ounces?
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any body that count a $10 dollar bill in pennies is already an expert. You mind already works in base 10 math, you just have to learn that a mm is the thickness of a dime. It make so much sense, whole numbers.....you will be assimilated, resistance is futile. The conversion is 25.4 mm/inch.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Double-metric mtb man
    Actually, the US is "officially" metric...but don't expect anyone to budge a cm from their well intrenched imperial system any time in the near future.

Besides, up here in the Great White North all the stores still have $/lb for produce and meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It can come in handy that the a2z brake adapter IS mounts are slotted, and adjustable in a 5mm range, which can help fit different brands of rotors - 180mm, 183mm 185mm, no problem.

banned
    Or 185mm.

Yep, life would be so much easier if simplification went the way of the dodo.

Just think:

26" bars would be 660 milimeters!
    27" bars = 685 milimeters
    better hope manufacturers step up and don't short us that extra handlebar room!
    My 5.75" travel frame would be 146 mil
    Its' 6" travel fork would be 152.4 milimeters
    My 2.1" XC tires would be 53.3 mil - depending on whether you're measuring outer knob or casing - in which case it could be 60 milimeters. Maybe we should average it and say 56.6 mil? Or should I go with 60 mil?

On second thought, I probably shouldn't shorten it to "mil" - that's so imprecise. Milimeters. Say it "MILLL I METERRRR". Enunciation is next to Godliness - which is almost as highly regarded as propeler headed bicycle fanaticism.

My 3" travel fork would be 76.2 milimeters - except that I think it's actually 80 milimeters, even though Manitou called it 3". Now which is it, Manitou???

We need a new industry standard, diplomatic peace movement, ala the now mostly defunct ISIS movement.

My "big bike" has 203.2 mil in the front and back - if we're to believe the manufacturers, that is. Those dunderheads refuse to step up and call it anything other than 8". And, the rear travel is adjustable to 152.4 or 177.8 mil - caveat that with the above - it's listed as 6", 7" and 8" - now if only we had the next ISIS industry standard...

... Someone, quick call Foes, they're going to need to add a couple pages to their catalog, what with this extra precision! And while you're at it, smack Brent around until he learns the Metric System and proper diction!

As if we didn't have enough to bicker about in our procrustean, high browed manners; now we can quible over tenths of a milimeter! Yippee!.

What fun the exorcism of simplicity brings!

Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Yep, life would be so much easier if simplification went the way of the dodo.

Just think:

26" bars would be 660 milimeters!
    27" bars = 685 milimeters
    better hope manufacturers step up and don't short us that extra handlebar room!
    My 5.75" travel frame would be 146 mil
    Its' 6" travel fork would be 152.4 milimeters
    My 2.1" XC tires would be 53.3 mil - depending on whether you're measuring outer knob or casing - in which case it could be 60 milimeters. Maybe we should average it and say 56.6 mil? Or should I go with 60 mil?

On second thought, I probably shouldn't shorten it to "mil" - that's so imprecise. Milimeters. Say it "MILLL I METERRRR". Enunciation is next to Godliness - which is almost as highly regarded as propeler headed bicycle fanaticism.

My 3" travel fork would be 76.2 milimeters - except that I think it's actually 80 milimeters, even though Manitou called it 3". Now which is it, Manitou???

We need a new industry standard, diplomatic peace movement, ala the now mostly defunct ISIS movement.

My "big bike" has 203.2 mil in the front and back - if we're to believe the manufacturers, that is. Those dunderheads refuse to step up and call it anything other than 8". And, the rear travel is adjustable to 152.4 or 177.8 mil - caveat that with the above - it's listed as 6", 7" and 8" - now if only we had the next ISIS industry standard...

... Someone, quick call Foes, they're going to need to add a couple pages to their catalog, what with this extra precision! And while you're at it, smack Brent around until he learns the Metric System and proper diction!

As if we didn't have enough to bicker about in our procrustean, high browed manners; now we can quible over tenths of a milimeter! Yippee!.

What fun the exorcism of simplicity brings!
    ...right...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Imperial is my mother tongue but we switched in grade 4. Most of Canada is kinda bilingual when it comes to Imperial vs Metric. Temperature is always Metric nobody understands the Farenheight scale anymore. It's painfully sensible, water boils at 100 and freezes at zero. The rural areas were laid out in mile squares so acres stuck. Everything large is weighed in Tonnes but small stuff is often pounds. The road signs are all in Kilometers but everyone thinks miles. A sheet of plywood is 4x8'. Gas and fluids are sold in Litres.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Double-metric mtb man
    Yup, the joys of living next to one of the "big"countries which is stuck in imperial....it spills over the border whether we want it or not.