trail addict

7" front rotor, 6" back rotor-->good idea?

I was about to go from a 6 and 6 set-up (with bb5s) to a 7 and 6 to just get a little more braking power up front. I did the math and with all other things being equal, that is like a 15% gain in leverage, which should be enough to make me happy, but then I read somethin in MBA where they said they would prefer a 6 and 6 over a 7 and 6 (March, pg 108) because it is more balanced...

I rarely use the same amount of pressure on the two levers, anyway, so does it really matter for feel that much? I know lots of bikes have diff rotors, but the only one I've ridden is my bud's enduro and it is too large for me to ride it aggressively.

I was gonna go with new Alligator rotors in 180 and 160 and a new caliper adapter for the front- I thought that would be a pretty goo upgrade for under $50

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That is what most run. I say if you need the extra stopping power then go for it.

Meh.
    MBA is pretty full of crap sometimes.

Many riders seeking a little bit more power choose a larger rotor up front. After all, most of your stopping power comes from the front. And a lot of riders can't justify the additional weight of running a larger rotor in the rear as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yates1012
    I read somethin in MBA where they said they would prefer a 6 and 6 over a 7 and 6 (March, pg 108) because it is more balanced...
    haven't read the mba writeup but i can't help but call bs....

i've been running 7/6 since, well, i was running 6/6 and having the larger front rotor gives a far superior ride (both in terms of enjoyment and performance) than the smaller setup. i can descend faster and maintain more control now than i could with a 6" on the front. not once have i ever thought about balance (balance?, seriously, what does that mean?). i currently run juicy 7s but i'd go with the same setup on any trail bike i run.

if you're not worried about the extra 30 or so grams from the larger front, go for it.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah.. using a larger rotor rules!! Go for it...just make sure that the size you are getting is approved by the fork manufacturer...

trail addict
    thanks, I pretty much figured it didn't make sense, but I thought it was worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by yates1012
    thanks, I pretty much figured it didn't make sense, but I thought it was worth asking.

Huh?

pretty much everybody recommended it and you still think it is a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think he ment that MBA's article didn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp111
    I think he ment that MBA's article didn't make sense.
    Ah! I see... if it is so.. I apologize.. my bad...

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Ah! I see... if it is so.. I apologize.. my bad...
    Yeah, my intuition AGREES with you guys... and DISAGREES with the whole MBA "balance" issue.

I can see how that was unclear in the other post.

Thanks again for the feedback, guys.