Yay!
    Mar 2011

6-bolt to Centerlock confusion.

I recently got a set of Mavic Crosstrail wheels. I love them.

They were made for Centerlock, but came with the 6-bolt adapters. I had my stock hydraulic disc brakes moved from the stock wheels (6-bolt) to the Crosstrails and used the adapters to mount my original 6-bolt rotors on the new wheel. Everything works fantastic.

Here is my question/intention. I still have the old wheelset, sans brake rotors. They're still mounted with tires, tubes, etc. I have a 9-speed cassette now, and the old wheels are 8-speed, but it's exceptionally cheap to put a 9-speed cassette on them. To make them usable spares, if I were to buy new rotors for the new wheels, could I not just get centerlock rotors (for the new wheels), remove the adapters, and put them (the old rotors) on my old wheels? Would the spacing be correct for the new wheels (without the adapters, I mean)? I know that my LBS just put the adapters and old rotors on my new wheels with no problem. I guess my concern is that if I buy centerlock rotors and put them on the new wheels, they might not line up correctly with my calipers. :-/

If I could, this would allow me to put my old rotors on my old wheels, thus giving me the ability to switch if the unfortunate should happen while out riding. I could, in essence, have a spare set of perfectly good wheels sitting there for less than $50.00-$75.00 potentially...

g3h6o3
    Yes you can buy centrelock and swap rotors between wheels. They are spaced the same.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Awesome. I was just making sure. I was worried that using the adapter would have somehow messed with some sort of spacing. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ideally the spacing is the same, but there will be small variations, with the relatively tight tolerances between rotor and pads, you may have to do some adjustments to the caliper when swapping wheels.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Actually, to tell you the truth, I went ahead and got another set of 6-bolt rotors. I already know I like my current rotors. I was only going to get some more so that I could put my old ones back on the original wheels. If it turns out that I don't like these new ones, I'll put them on the old wheels as spares and keep my original rotors on my wheels.

My wife's bike uses the same setup as well, so we'll both have access to a spare set of wheels!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Truthfully, I really like centerlock rotors. Installation is dead simple, and all it takes is a bottom bracket tool to remove or install them, or a cassette tool, depending on which lock ring your centerlocks came with.

Accounting for any slight change in the alignment is easy too: Just loosen the mounting bolts on the caliper to the frame or fork, then apply the brake and keep it squeezed, then while snug the mounting bolts back up, let go of the brake lever, and then properly torque the mounting bolts. Done.

I regularily swap wheels on my bike from street to dirt. Even with centerlock to centerlock you can get a (very) minor bit of alignment issues.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    :-) Thanks for the replies. As it turns out, my Crosstrail's came with an adapter that made things exceptionally easy. All I'll need to get for my own rotor swapping is the HT2 tool. Easy as pie.