mtbr member

6-Bolt or Center Lock

Hi,

Having a set of Arch Ex wheels with XT hubs built. I don't know enough to choose between 6-bolt or center lock (adds $30 to the build).

I found a Shimano 160 and 180 center lock rotor for $16ea (not ice-tech) I don't think I'm aggressive enough to justify Ice-Tech rotors.

I currently have Avid Elixr 1 brakes but would like XT-785's at some point in the future.

Thanks for helping me out,

Hank

P.S After I posted of course I see other similar posts, but if you feel like flaming or contributing here I won't mind.

center lock or six bolt?

center lock vs. 6-bolt recommendation

It looks like (other than the added weight of an adapter) you get the best of both worlds by going center lock. What do you guys think ?

Center Lock Adaptor Installation Instruction - YouTube

RideDirt
    6 bolt and get the Ice Techs , its better too have more then enough stopping power then not enough ... You can always get adaptors to later change if you want centerlock .

mtbr member
    Most rotors and hubs are 6 bolt. I never saw the point of center lock other than someone trying to make up a new standard. It didn't really catch on. I'd go 6 bolt. Center lock just adds weight (adapters) for little to no benefit. 6 bolt rotors are much more common place.

MTB B'dos
    In my experience I've always found the center lock rotors cheaper than the 6 bolt counterparts, however, finding centre lock for anything other than Shimano can be harder. If you for some reason needed to remove the rotors, centre lock is a lot less hassle as you only need to remove 1 lockring compared to 6 bolts.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Guys thanks for your help,

aedubber: Correct me if I’m wrong but I think if you have centerlock you can use an adapter to achieve 6-bolt. I am not aware if there is an adapter to go from 6-bolt to centerlock. If you know there is please let me know who make it.

sooner51: Not sure but I think 6-bolt “ice-tech” are the most expensive.

Lynx: I’m pretty sure centerlock is more expensive although I’ve seen non-ice-tech Shimano rotors for $16. The thought of shelling out $50 per rotor unless I had a sponsor (yea..right) is kind of a turn off.

The “car-guy” in me is familiar with “floating rotors” which is what “ice-tech” is all about. Heat generated by the force of braking is transferred from the friction surface and then dissipated to the thinner metal center core.

I’ll never forget a friend of mine told me his dad once said “The best machine is the simplest machine” why I’m inclined to go with 6-bolt. That, the availability and price of rotors and the “simple field-fix”

Question: Am I correct in assuming that if I had two different wheels, one centerlock, the other 6-bolt, they would be interchangeable without having to loosen the caliper, squeeze the brake and retighten the mounting bolts? I’m betting no even though I believe the standard for mounting conditions attempts to be universal in that the disc is always supposed to be in the same place. Anyone have working knowledge of this?

Thanks for all your responses, it’s definitely helping,

Hank

mtbr member
    Is it just me or is the thought a rotor is not worth much more than $20. Look at the $73.98 option...that's crazy

Is it going to be that 6-bolt will become hard to get and considered "vintage" parts in the future ? (my guess no, there's too many bikes owned by non-aficionado types i.e. Walmart bike owners)

Will centerlock become cheaper as design and tooling costs become amortized ? (my guess no. it seems like the industry's mantra is something like "stick-it-to-em) So much stuff is so over the top like XX1 don't you think?

Enough ranting,

Hank

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I think if you have centerlock you can use an adapter to achieve 6-bolt. I am not aware if there is an adapter to go from 6-bolt to centerlock. If you know there is please let me know who make it.
    There's no adapter to fit a centerlock rotor on a 6 bolt hub, it's physically impossible.

The “car-guy” in me is familiar with “floating rotors” which is what “ice-tech” is all about. Heat generated by the force of braking is transferred from the friction surface and then dissipated to the thinner metal center core.
    From Shimano:
    Ice-Tech rotors have a three layer sandwich structure of an aluminum core embedded in stainless steel. The higher heat dissipation of the aluminum helps to reduce the surface temperature of the rotor by around 100 degrees Celsius. Optional Ice Tech brake pads with aluminum cooling fins can reduce the brake pad surface by another 50 degrees. The result is high stopping power and practically no signs of fading!

Question: Am I correct in assuming that if I had two different wheels, one centerlock, the other 6-bolt, they would be interchangeable without having to loosen the caliper, squeeze the brake and retighten the mounting bolts? I’m betting no even though I believe the standard for mounting conditions attempts to be universal in that the disc is always supposed to be in the same place. Anyone have working knowledge of this?
    You might get lucky and not have to adjust anything but I'd say that you would if you were using different types of hubs, two 6 bolt hubs from different brands probably won't match up exactly the same.
    You shouldn't have to do any adjusting if you were to use the same brand & model rotors on two wheelsets with the same brand & model hubs.

Shims/spacers/washers can be used to change the position of a rotor on a hub when using different wheelsets.
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=757
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=356
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3288

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    Is it just me or is the thought a rotor is not worth much more than $20. Look at the $73.98 option...that's crazy
    Look at the prices on these rotors:
    Shimano Saint RT99 Ice Tech Center Lock Rotor | www.PricePoint.com
    Universal Cycles -- Hope Moto-V2 FR Rotors

Is it going to be that 6-bolt will become hard to get and considered "vintage" parts in the future ? (my guess no, there's too many bikes owned by non-aficionado types i.e. Walmart bike owners)

Will centerlock become cheaper as design and tooling costs become amortized ? (my guess no. it seems like the industry's mantra is something like "stick-it-to-em) So much stuff is so over the top like XX1 don't you think?
    centerlock = Shimano

Look at how many other brands there are that make rotors and hubs beside Shimano.
    Of all of these other brands that make hubs and rotors how many of them make centerlock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Look at the prices on these rotors:
    Shimano Saint RT99 Ice Tech Center Lock Rotor | www.PricePoint.com
    Universal Cycles -- Hope Moto-V2 FR Rotors

centerlock = Shimano

Look at how many other brands there are that make rotors and hubs beside Shimano.
    Of all of these other brands that make hubs and rotors how many of them make centerlock.
    Next time I enter the Red Bull Rampage, I'll be sure to use them...

All things considered, I think I'm going to go with 6-bolt. At this point I'm 85% sure. Another thing to consider is that although I have Avid Elixr 1 brakes (which are working perfectly) I can see the day I'll go to XT785's. I'm assuming this future upgrade will not care if I'm 6-bolt or CL.

Thanks guys for making this a great thread,

Hank

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you do use an adapter, I would not use one of those silver units shown in post #5. I would say that the DT-Swiss type is not prone to the same type of failure (that has been my personal experience). If/when you work on them, the centerlock is nice, but not that big of a deal. 6-bolt is much more common and generally easier to source and less expensive.

mtbr member
    Jeffj: I'll take a look at the DT one (assume it works with a Shimano hub ?) thanks

I'll dig into adaptors just for the heck of it.

Thanks,

Hank

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    ... I never saw the point of center lock other than someone trying to make up a new standard. It didn't really catch on ...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    ... Look at how many other brands there are that make rotors and hubs beside Shimano. Of all of these other brands that make hubs and rotors how many of them make centerlock.
    +1 ...

a bit like oversized/tapered headtube (not intentionally trying to start a new argument here ) manufacturers will every so often come up with new 'innovations' hoping for it to be come a future standard, just to manufacture something new.

mtbr member
    I can see the point of ^^^tapered head tube^^^. It's just sort of a bigger anvil. Has anyone ridden so hard they've damaged their frame in this area?

O.K. back on topic:

6-Bolt or Center Lock-2013-05-11_1056_zps47eb6710.png

Admittedly these do look extremely high tech.Hello Price Point…($129) where “Price is the Point” I think Jenson has you beat by $53.19

Oh please...even my second wife treated me better than this ! It's a MTB not a BMW M3. ($132.00 a definite WTF is in order here)

More stuff to deal with "Hey Jake I just dropped your circlip off the bluff...sorry man...meet you at the car?

mtbr member
    Here's a sweet deal...Hope this helps some of you CL guys (still maybe me) However; I don't think they are true "ice-tech" and are mis-named as they are not a slice of aluminum between two slices of stainless steel.

I think you have to move up to the RT86 for this.

This has brought me to one positive conclusion: If you go CL don't go CL with a 6-bolt adapter.

Eliminating CL from my wheel build $30.
    Eliminating Adapter $31.99 x 2 = $63.98
    Total saved..................................$93.98

Are ice tech 6-bolts reasonably priced? Not Really.
    but eliminations (above) saves almost enough to purchase of 2 6-Bolt RT86 ice tech rotors (160, 180) $44.98 + $49.98= $94.96 + tax + shipping

Another Thread discussses mix and match conditions of different brand calipers and their pad interface with different brand disks. (interesting reading)

Using Shimano Centerlock (or any other) rotors with another brand caliper

Still Undecided,

Hank
    Last edited by DirtyHank; 05-11-2013 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    I think this thread has made up my mind:

Using Shimano Centerlock (or any other) rotors with another brand caliper

The thread is peppered with unlike conditions that talk about caliper/pad combos with different rotors. It seems in some cases people were using Dremel-drill techniques to accomplish having XTR centerlock rotors and in some cases having to use other than stock pads.

The good news is that it seems Avid G2 Cleansweep rotors (which I have) work well with XT-785 brakes which I mentioned I'd like to have at some point.

So my tentative decision to stick with 6-bolt is for the following reasons:

1. Compatability with current SINGLE PISTON brakes (Elixr-1)
    2. I have two new 160mm Clean Sweep Rotors and will only need to buy one additional 180mm for my new set of wheels ($24 paid by saving the additional $30 wheel build charge for the XT centerlock hubs.
    3. The mention of the XT-785s being compatible with the G2 rotors.
    4. The hope that my Alex Wheels (6-Bolt) equipped with some sort of tire good for pavement and my new Stans ZTR Arch Ex (XT-6-Bolt) will swap out easily with only loosening the caliper mounts, squeezing the lever and tightening the caliper mounting bolts (unless they center perfectly or if I can possibly accomplish this with shims).

Thanks to everyone for making this forum such a great place. Please let me know if you agree/disagree with this decision for my setup. I'm excited about going tubeless! Maybe I'll make that b*tch of a climb yet!

Thanks again,

Hank

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I thought the BB7's where twin piston and the BB5's were single piston.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

6-Bolt or Center Lock

No, the bb7 has two adjustment knobs, one each side.

Bb5 only have an adjuster on the fixed pad side.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bill right you are, I just suffered a brain fart. Mechanical brakes have NO pistons, just actuator arms(I think). Still, with both pads moving, I think that the BB7's would work better with a no flex rotor. Am I missing something?

mtbr member

Re: 6-Bolt or Center Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Bill right you are, I just suffered a brain fart. Mechanical brakes have NO pistons, just actuator arms(I think). Still, with both pads moving, I think that the BB7's would work better with a no flex rotor. Am I missing something?
    Only one pad moves on bb7s, despite dual pad adjustment. You need the rotor to flex a tad.

mtbr member
    I love Shimano brakes and center lock rotors. That being said the hub selection for center lock rotors sucks. Basically Shimano and DT Swiss. Both hubs are fine but if you want a quick engaging hub you must look elsewhere. Centerlock rotors are great. I just use Shimano brakes and their six bolt rotors.

mtbr member
    6 bolt end of story

mtbr member
    Centerlock hubs are great since you can use any rotor anytime. Hubs are lighter but you're forced to use a nicer spider equipped rotor. Not a big deal unless you're the type of person who loves the $8 alligator rotors. It's so much simpler than using 6 bolts but you cant go weight weenie by running half the bolts . . .

That being said, just put rotors on the first set of 6 bolts hubs I've used in a few years since Hopes dont come in centerlock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ive got DT240s w/CenterLock on DT adaptors for Avid 6bolt rotors w/X.0 brakes. DT distributor only had centerlock hubs in, 6 Bolt would have been a special order.

Now the question is, if I switch to XTR Trail brakes do I go 6-bolt or CL rotors, XT or XTR, or try running the Avid rotors?

mtbr member
    If you're happy with the wheels go centerlock. If you're worried about reselling the rotors or swapping wheels in the future go 6 bolt.

mtbr member
    Hi Guys (I'm back...)

I made my decision: 6-Bolt
    Reasons:
    • We have 2 wheelsets that have 6-bolt hubs. That means in a pinch rotors are interchangeable.
    • Limited manufacturers supplying CL rotors (though I suspect this will change.
    • Decided I’d never want the hassle of a centerlock to 6-bolt adapter. (something else to fail/break, although I guess they are fairly bulletproof)
    • Possible interference of centerlock rivet attachment points with other than Shimano calipers. (I ain’t Dremel drilling nothing when it comes to brakes)
    • I went with 9mm QR because that’s what our entry level forks have and our locking Thule Rack accommodates. (sure do like 15mm though)
    • I went with Arch Ex 29er Rims, XT hubs, silver stainless DT Swiss spokes (black is impossible to keep new looking)

• I’m a Tubeless Virgin so got some searching to do. I’m planning to install tires with soapy water inflate to max pressure to see how well I can get them to seat and hold air (without Stan’s goo) then go with the recommended Stan’s instructions. Honestly I’m a little nervous with the whole tubeless idea but hey I drive a car don’t I ?

Thanks for all the great advice, You guys are the Best !

Hank