mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. 6" or 8" Disc brakes?

I'm in the process of building an all-mtb (like an enduro), and am not sure if I should get 6" or 8" disc brakes. How do I know if the caliper will fit my frame? Are there specific wheelsets that are made for larger rotors?

questions

Quote Originally Posted by johnbettsboy
    I'm in the process of building an all-mtb (like an enduro), and am not sure if I should get 6" or 8" disc brakes. How do I know if the caliper will fit my frame? Are there specific wheelsets that are made for larger rotors?
    That all depends.

What kind of terrain? How big are you? What frame / fork? How heavy of a build are you planning for your new bike?

Personally, I'd rather have too much brake than not enough.
    [SIZE=1]Don't believe everything that you think.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    That all depends.

What kind of terrain? How big are you? What frame / fork? How heavy of a build are you planning for your new bike?

Personally, I'd rather have too much brake than not enough.
    I'm a pretty small rider, 5'6" about 140lbs. I do XC and freeride type biking. I haven't actually bought a frame yet, but I was hoping to get a used Enduro or similar frame (around $500-600), and probably an '05 Fox Vanilla R. I am planning on building a somewhat lightweight (to get up hills) but durable all - mountain bike, roughly 27-30 lbs.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I'm a pretty small rider, 5'6" about 140lbs. I do XC and freeride type biking. I haven't actually bought a frame yet, but I was hoping to get a used Enduro or similar frame (around $500-600), and probably an '05 Fox Vanilla R. I am planning on building a somewhat lightweight (to get up hills) but durable all - mountain bike, roughly 27-30 lbs.
    I weigh 135 lbs and use 6" rotors for my bike. I ride just XC nowadays. When I rode freeride/chairlifts stuff I used a 7" Magura setup that worked very well.

Technique is also just as important. I ride just about anything with my 6" Avid setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm 235 lbs and have mechanicals with 6" rotors with no problems.

willtsmith_nwi

Your size ...

At your size riding XC, 6" will be more than enough twice over. I'm 285 and my 6" rotors are plenty for XC.