mtbr member
    Jun 2007

40mm IS to IS adapters all the same or??

I'm going to go from 160mm to 203mm rotors and am looking around at the adapters and am a bit confused... Shimano makes adapters but has different adapters for Front and Rear and charge ~$40 each? I've also seen the A2Z adapters for half that and they just have a single 40mm adapter and some no-name adapters for $14 on eBay.

My question is if there is a difference between the adapter brands that I need to worry about? Anybody use the cheapo adapters and have to switch to a better made one? I'm running XTR calipers on a Cdale Prophet with a lefty so I am IS to IS...

Thanks and Ride ON!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The adapters front and back are different, but a +X0mm adapter should work both places.

Just look at the adapters you have now.

If you put a back adapter on the front you can move from a 160mm rotor to a 180mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks! With the M965 calipers, I don't use adapters at all, the calipers bolt up directly to the frame and fork and I use shims to adjust the brake line. In retrospect I should have gone with XT calipers but I snagged a sweet deal on the XTR stuff. I had considered doing exactly what you said, using 180mm rotors and moving the rear caliper to the front and putting a 40mm adapter on the rear. This is all inspired by the fact that I have been litterally smoking my 160mm rotors being +200lbs and riding some really steep and long downhills... I figured if I was going to change, I might as well go big.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a m965 on the back and am trying to get another back caliper to put on the front and use with a180mm rotor now as well.

I have a Post mount caliper but it rubs my 180mm rotor on the front...