mtbr member
    Oct 2008

31.8 levers on drop bars for disc brakes?

ok - so the plan is to get f & r levers on a deda pista drop downs

the brakes are bb7s [mtb] and im looking to mount the levers either side of the stem.

i've seen the paul crosstop oversized levers - pretty expensive - but can these cyclocross style crosstop bars be used stand alone? - i.e. with no drop brake lever

also check out the salsa crosstops...

i suppose another question would be will these levers [ if they can be used alone ] be able to pull enough cable for mtb disc brakes?

Meh.
    The pull ratio is different. You'll have to get the BB7 Road.

I've seen crosstop levers used as standalones on some fixies. Pretty much you just let the end of the cable sit in the barrel adjuster.

Canecreek also makes one for 31.8.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    cheers for the quick reply - and sorry for all the typos :P

i just found some more info on the pauls on an ebay listing - seems there are two pivot points - the farthest one away from the bars providing more leverage, therefore more cable pull im guessing.

cant find any info on the salsa or canecreeks being used with mtb discs - looks like i'ma have to fork out for the pauls...

but surely more leverage would mean the brake feel would be mushier - you'd have to pull loads on the lever before the pads bite - wait.. bb7s... what am i thinking! - that can be countered with the pad position....

i'll get my coat.

Meh.
    You can only make up for so much with pad position. The pull ratio is still different. It will work, but the result may not be optimal. There's a reason that Avid produces 2 versions of the BB7 - the ROAD and MTN.

If the Pauls can be used with v-brakes, then they will work fine with the MTN version.

All drop levers, canti levers, BMX levers, etc need the ROAD version.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The
    Quote Originally Posted by digs86
    cheers for the quick reply - and sorry for all the typos :P

i just found some more info on the pauls on an ebay listing - seems there are two pivot points - the farthest one away from the bars providing more leverage, therefore more cable pull im guessing.

cant find any info on the salsa or canecreeks being used with mtb discs - looks like i'ma have to fork out for the pauls...

but surely more leverage would mean the brake feel would be mushier - you'd have to pull loads on the lever before the pads bite - wait.. bb7s... what am i thinking! - that can be countered with the pad position....

i'll get my coat.
    In most cases a road pull (short pull) lever does not have enough pull to activate a MTN BB7. You may get the pads to the rotor but not far enough to slow down. There will be no "bite."

I find there is no reaseon to have bar top levers in the first place. the best braking position is in the drops. Use the Tectro or Dia Compe dropbar V-brake levers and you are good to go.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

troubled economist
    I'm thinking you could use the Problem Solvers (QBP) Travel Agent to make the road pull level work w/ the mtn BB7:

http://www.problemsolversbike.com/im...avel_agent.pdf
    dig...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky
    I'm thinking you could use the Problem Solvers (QBP) Travel Agent to make the road pull level work w/ the mtn BB7:

http://www.problemsolversbike.com/im...avel_agent.pdf
    IME Travel Agents are not worth the trouble. They work bit are PITA to set up and keep in adjustment. Much better to just pony up for a set of BB7 road discs. They are not that expensive now.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common