mtbr member
    Oct 2004

3 half fingers and brake levers

hey all, I'm introducing a new bud to mtb, coulpe years ago he lost the top half of his 3 middle fingers on his left hand, he has his whole thumb and pinky, we went to an easy trail today and after the ride he said he was having problems using the brake with that hand. anyone have any ideas how to alter the lever to make it more user friendly for him?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    if it is just a reach issue some of the brakes handles should have a reach and free stroke adjustment. Check the brakes web site to see it has that adjustment.

A buddy rides with a fake leg with flames on. A great guy and a good rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm in a similar situation. I think it's best to do all braking and shifting with the good hand and use the bad hand for grip only. Just take the brake and shifter off, flip them over, and slide them up the other bar. It doesn't take that long to get used to. It's a lot better these days with disc brakes, it was a tougher with v-brakes when you needed two fingers per lever.

meh....
    don't know anything about this unit, but it looks like it might be worth looking at, Brake Director.

It would give him one handed braking, assuming cable actuated brakes on his bike.

Can Tree Member
    Your bud might also consider running the brakes "moto-style" so that his good hand is controlling the front brake instead of of the rear. A good hand on the front brake, plus feathering the rear if he can, is likely to give him the control he'll need for most situations he's likely to encounter.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Ride Responsibly
    I like the idea of the 2 into 1 gadget. On the cheap, like mentioned above, put the front brake to the right lever, then work with different positions for the rear (now left) brake lever. Maybe over the bar or even behind it. The idea being to push the lever with the palm or thumb while keeping his stumps (I am missing my left index finger) on the grips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks Guys! Lots of great info there! I knew about the first response, I have smaller hands so I always bring my levers closer, but I will check to be sure it's as adjusted as it can be. Thanks again!!!