Results 1 to 56 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    I looked around on-line for an adapter to get disc brakes on the rear of my 99 Klein Attitude Comp and I couldn't find anything that worked so I had a local laser and fabrication shop make me one (I am friends with the owner). I found out that there is a demand for these on the market so we made a few. The adapter gets the calliper above the rear seat stay which is the issue with the other adapters on the market. It works with Trek, Klein and Schwinn models that all have that same 22mm chain stay mount pattern and is designed for 160mm rotors. Unfourtunately my picture file sizes are too large for this format. If you would like pictures or information regarding this you may contact me at nanoseth@yahoo.com!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vk45de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,084
    You mean something like this?

  3. #3
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826

  4. #4
    nnn
    nnn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    799
    Neither of those 2 are what is being posted here.
    The first one is for Hayes mounts on the seatstay, some frames have them on the chainstay.
    The A2Z is universal but I found it couldn't work on my frame with a Hope ProII QR hub.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

  5. #5
    Person
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    The A2Z is universal but I found it couldn't work on my frame with a Hope ProII QR hub.
    The A2Z adaptor should work if you use a front caliper on the rear.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17
    Nope. I am talking about using satndard callipers on a rear chain stay 22mm mount pattern for a 160mm disc brake rotor. The A2Z AD PMR doesn't work with most bikes and callipers because of conflict with the seat stay. This adapter gets the calliper up above the seat stay where all the bikes today have their callipers mounted. It works with Hayes, Shimanno and Avid that I know of and probably all the other ones with IS mounting pattern too.

  7. #7
    Person
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoseth
    Nope. I am talking about using satndard callipers on a rear chain stay 22mm mount pattern for a 160mm disc brake rotor. The A2Z AD PMR doesn't work with most bikes and callipers because of conflict with the seat stay. This adapter gets the calliper up above the seat stay where all the bikes today have their callipers mounted. It works with Hayes, Shimanno and Avid that I know of and probably all the other ones with IS mounting pattern too.
    But my point is you can make that A2Z adaptor work if you simply use a front caliper with it. I did that on an old Schwinn and was able to keep using a 160mm rotor. A2Z states you must use a 180mm rotor with the adaptor. When you use a front caliper it does not get pushed out as much, thus eliminating the conflict with the seatstay.

    If you are trying to sell the adaptors you made on the forum I suggest you buy an ad to keep the moderators happy.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vk45de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,084
    No, he mentioned he had IS calipers so he would need a front caliper in back to run 160mm rotors.

  9. #9
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17

    22mm chain stay adapter

    I will look into putting an advertisement up. Thanks.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2
    Hey I am needing this adapter I have a 99 8500 Trek WSD
    I am wanting to install Avid BB7 mechanical disk brakes. Where do I buy one

  12. #12
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Judacator View Post
    Hey I am needing this adapter I have a 99 8500 Trek WSD
    I am wanting to install Avid BB7 mechanical disk brakes. Where do I buy one
    I don't think that you can buy that adapter anymore, I don't think that it was a great design and I suspect that there would be some flex with that adapter too.


    I'd stay with a rim brake on the rear and put a disc brake on the fork.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks I guess my next step is to cut the seat stay and weld an IS standard disk brake into it

  14. #14
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Judacator View Post
    I guess my next step is to cut the seat stay and weld an IS standard disk brake into it
    I wouldn't.

    If you were to weld on a brake mount you wouldn't need to cut the seat stay.

    If you do weld on a brake mount are you also going to re-heat treat the aluminum frame afterwards?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    78
    I see this old thread has been revived a few weeks ago. I have a 99 Mantra and want rear discs too. Anyone have a viable fix? I have threaded holes 22mm apart on the non-driveside chainstay. Hope there are suggestions. I haven't been able to find a brake with holes 22mm apart...

  16. #16
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: 22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky53s View Post
    I see this old thread has been revived a few weeks ago. I have a 99 Mantra and want rear discs too. Anyone have a viable fix? I have threaded holes 22mm apart on the non-driveside chainstay. Hope there are suggestions. I haven't been able to find a brake with holes 22mm apart...
    Nothing has changed except demand is lower than ever.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    78

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    That isn't reassuring...

  18. #18
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: 22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky53s View Post
    That isn't reassuring...
    Not meant to be. That brake mount has not been used for 15 years.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    78

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    Neither has a carburetor but I can still buy parts.

  20. #20
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: 22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky53s View Post
    Neither has a carburetor but I can still buy parts.
    Very poor comparison.
    There have been many hundreds of millions of carburetors made in the past 100+ years, many of which no longer have parts available.
    There may have been a thousand or two 22mm calipers made over 2-3 years. Spare parts ended then, too.

    Just keep your rim brake.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    257
    Toronto cycles has some, though there is no guarantee it will fit, so measure carefully to see if you have the required room.
    a2z Disc Brake Adapter, A2z DM-UNI, AD-PMR, A2z Components

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    78

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    I know you're much more of an expert than me but just because a solution hasn't been found doesn't mean giving up is the answer. Maybe you're right and I won't solve this issue, but if I keep my eyes open eventually someone will list a 22mm brake in eBay or another solution will present itself.

    Just because it's hard and unimportant to you doesn't mean it's unimportant to everyone.

  23. #23
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: 22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky53s View Post
    I know you're much more of an expert than me but just because a solution hasn't been found doesn't mean giving up is the answer. Maybe you're right and I won't solve this issue, but if I keep my eyes open eventually someone will list a 22mm brake in eBay or another solution will present itself.

    Just because it's hard and unimportant to you doesn't mean it's unimportant to everyone.
    You need to be realistic.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    78

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    A true optimist.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4
    That makes two of us.... I'm trying to upgrade my 2000 Klein Mantra to disc brakes and have followed the same trail leading to nowhere at present. I bought the adaptor from A2Z DM-UNI but it doesn't fit! I'm not giving up though. The AD-PMR looks more likely but want to hear from A2Z before I waste more money. If I find a solution, I'll let you know.

  26. #26
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Antnbee View Post
    That makes two of us.... I'm trying to upgrade my 2000 Klein Mantra to disc brakes and have followed the same trail leading to nowhere at present. I bought the adaptor from A2Z DM-UNI but it doesn't fit! I'm not giving up though. The AD-PMR looks more likely but want to hear from A2Z before I waste more money. If I find a solution, I'll let you know.
    I don't think that the AD-PMR will work on your frame, the angle of the seatstay/chainstay on your frame would be too small.

    You can see some photos of the AD-PMR on the following thread.
    Where can I get this..!? Post mount to IS adapter...?

    The Brake Therapy conversion would work but it's expensive.

    http://2btherapy.com/bikes/brake-therapy-conversion-kit

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4
    Ouch, that's expensive. I think I've seen a photo with an AD-PMR running a Mini Hope front on the back but I don't think it was a Mantra. Annoying as I bought a secondhand set of disc specific wheels and some new Avid Elixir 5's to go on the Mantra and the rear mount is the sticking point. Might have to shelve the Mantra and buy a new frame!!

  28. #28
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197
    I have many 22mm setups. I've sold 20+ in the past year, used, brand new, for parts, etc. and I've got several left.

    BTW...People who are trying to ride or build should be encouraged and not discouraged...if you're a jerk in real life, realize you have a second chance to be nice in your online life...try it.
    Last edited by GNR; 08-06-2014 at 07:41 AM.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4
    Sounds great..how can I get one? How much?

  30. #30
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,774

    Re: 22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Antnbee View Post
    Ouch, that's expensive. I think I've seen a photo with an AD-PMR running a Mini Hope front on the back but I don't think it was a Mantra. Annoying as I bought a secondhand set of disc specific wheels and some new Avid Elixir 5's to go on the Mantra and the rear mount is the sticking point. Might have to shelve the Mantra and buy a new frame!!
    Well you can probably resell it to recoup most of that cost after the Klein fails (former Klein owner here &#128515

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    78
    I'm just keeping my Mantra as a primary bike until I save up the cash to build an On-One Parkwood (I think). Then the Mantra will become my wife's trail bike (aka, walking paths) and I will still get to keep it. She's almost as tall as me so a shorter stem and lower seat will fit her fine and will be nice and squishy for her.

  32. #32
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Antnbee View Post
    Sounds great..how can I get one? How much?
    Pm'd you.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    78

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

    The crown jewel! A 22mm Hayes brake for my Mantra. Thanks GNR!22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407856358.369857.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407856367.182227.jpg

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2
    Do you still have any of these around? i really could use one

  35. #35
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by wet_buffalo@yahoo.com View Post
    Do you still have any of these around? i really could use one
    Yep. I've got a few left. clmd17 at hotmail dot com is my direct email.

    Let me know what size frame or how long you'd like the rear hose, and if you need a front brake to match. Let me know and I'll make what you need and get you some pics. Best, Laurence

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3
    Me too. Emailed you. I call dibs on one until I can tell you what hose length I need.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    136
    This thread is a few months old, I know, but just FYI I installed a Brake Therapy kit on my '97 Klein Mantra several years ago (with BB7's) and it works great!

  38. #38
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    This thread is a few months old, I know
    Just a few, it was started in 2009.


    but just FYI I installed a Brake Therapy kit on my '97 Klein Mantra several years ago (with BB7's) and it works great!
    The cost of those adapters is too high, most people can't justify paying that much.

  39. #39
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197

    Still have a few Hayes 22mm brakes

    I still have a few 22mm brakes sets, as well as a few brand new 22mm calipers. Can assemble a brand new brake or two as well.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by GNR View Post
    I still have a few 22mm brakes sets, as well as a few brand new 22mm calipers. Can assemble a brand new brake or two as well.
    Any of these still floating around? I am getting tired of searching for a decent adapter.

  41. #41
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197
    Hi,

    I've got one unassembled 22mm caliper left in my bin. Complete build kit included as well as some excellent but not new pads. I don't have any complete master cylinders, but I've got new parts to construct one.

    PM me if you're interested. Best, GNR

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    362
    Have you tried the vintage section?
    Last edited by fxrextreme; 02-01-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    362
    Also,take at the Retrobike forum in the uk
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    I have a machinist that is creating a mount. He has been through 3 versions so far and found one that is working. Made out of aluminum and has yet to allow flexing. We are starting the process to trim things down and make it look better.

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-img950341.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-img950342.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-img950343.jpg

  45. #45
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by literleaner View Post
    I have a machinist that is creating a mount. He has been through 3 versions so far and found one that is working. Made out of aluminum and has yet to allow flexing. We are starting the process to trim things down and make it look better.
    If I was going to make a bracket like that, I would make it as short as possible and also clamp it to the seat stay.

    * If the brake caliper was in more of a 45° angle there wouldn't be such a big loop with the brake hose.

    * The brake caliper doesn't look to be correctly positioned properly over the rotor.

    Brake pads should never overhang the outer edge of the rotor.

    Overhanging pads don't have as much stopping power and will eventually cause brake failure when the unworn parts of the pads touch each other.

    Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 1008
Size:  24.0 KB

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    If I was going to make a bracket like that, I would make it as short as possible and also clamp it to the seat stay.

    * If the brake caliper was in more of a 45° angle there wouldn't be such a big loop with the brake hose.

    * The brake caliper doesn't look to be correctly positioned properly over the rotor.

    Brake pads should never overhang the outer edge of the rotor.

    Overhanging pads don't have as much stopping power and will eventually cause brake failure when the unworn parts of the pads touch each other.

    Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 1008
Size:  24.0 KB
    Thank you. I sent this over and he modified the mount. Unfortunately it is ungodly huge and due to the tolerances/space/clearance I don't think I am able to reduce the footprint...

    Needless to say the search continues for a Klein Mantra solution for discs

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160204_103157.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160204_103203.jpg

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Well I searched and I met the best vintage guru I believe exists. He provided an older set of Hayes Mag's as well as the parts needed to rebuild. I then purchased a set of Jagwire hydraulic lines and went to work. Overall I have approximately $160 invested in these but without a doubt they are dialed in. New masters, new lever pins, new bushings, and new lines. I can't wait for my wheelset to arrive so I can finish my project.

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160222_221517.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160222_221551.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160222_221743.jpg

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1

    In need of a 22mm bracket....

    I am in the market for a bracket to mount a modern disk brake caliper to my Klein. Anybody have a spare they want to let go of? Thanks...

    22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160316_153122.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160316_152915.jpg22mm chain stay disc brake adapter-20160316_152908.jpg

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2
    HI everybody,

    I am currently trying to get brakes on a 1999 Trek 8900. I am told the proprietary Hayes brakes are no good BUT I have also been told a lot of BS from multiple LBS. I am about to order the AD-PMR adaptor for the rear ( I got the front working the other night by putting on a front disc brake I trashed picked off of a Mongoose.) If I have to create my own bracket so be it, wont be pretty but it will work.

    SO I guess my questions are....

    Will the AD-PMR adapter work?

    Is anyone selling parts that will put disc brakes on the rear?

    Is anyone still making adaptors and would they work on a 1999 Trek 8900?

    Thank you to anyone willing to help! I will let you know what I end up doing.

  50. #50
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouchie View Post
    Will the AD-PMR adapter work?
    Maybe, maybe not.

    The geometry of the frame and the type of caliper are a couple of things that need to be taken into consideration.

  51. #51
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197
    I've got 22mm calipers and complete rear brakes to sell if you'd like one. You can PM me here or respond here. Best, GNR

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3
    I have a '98 schwinn with hydraulic brakes. I need a rear brake. What's the price and condition?

    Regards,
    Anthony

  53. #53
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197
    Hi,

    I've got calipers, whole rear brakes and sets...which would you like? If you need a whole brake or set, let me know the hose lengths and I'll put something together.

    I typically receive $130 for a set, $100 for a whole brake and $75 for a good caliper.

    PM me here if interested and we'll go from there.

    Best, GNR

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3
    Hello GNR,
    I assume the whole brake includes the lever/with reservoir, cable (60 inches) and caliper with pads. The mounting bolts on the caliper are approximately 1" apart. I want to keep the bike looking as original as possible.
    Please advise.
    Anthony

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3
    Hello GNR,

    Please send me your phone number or call me at 386-439-2172.
    Thanks,
    Anthony

  56. #56
    GNR
    GNR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    197
    Still have a few...just saying. GNR

Members who have read this thread: 14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •