mtbr member
    May 2009

22mm chain stay disc brake adapter

I looked around on-line for an adapter to get disc brakes on the rear of my 99 Klein Attitude Comp and I couldn't find anything that worked so I had a local laser and fabrication shop make me one (I am friends with the owner). I found out that there is a demand for these on the market so we made a few. The adapter gets the calliper above the rear seat stay which is the issue with the other adapters on the market. It works with Trek, Klein and Schwinn models that all have that same 22mm chain stay mount pattern and is designed for 160mm rotors. Unfourtunately my picture file sizes are too large for this format. If you would like pictures or information regarding this you may contact me at nanoseth@yahoo.com!

mtbr member
    You mean something like this?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

nnn
    mtbr member
    Neither of those 2 are what is being posted here.
    The first one is for Hayes mounts on the seatstay, some frames have them on the chainstay.
    The A2Z is universal but I found it couldn't work on my frame with a Hope ProII QR hub.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nnn
    The A2Z is universal but I found it couldn't work on my frame with a Hope ProII QR hub.
    The A2Z adaptor should work if you use a front caliper on the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nope. I am talking about using satndard callipers on a rear chain stay 22mm mount pattern for a 160mm disc brake rotor. The A2Z AD PMR doesn't work with most bikes and callipers because of conflict with the seat stay. This adapter gets the calliper up above the seat stay where all the bikes today have their callipers mounted. It works with Hayes, Shimanno and Avid that I know of and probably all the other ones with IS mounting pattern too.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoseth
    Nope. I am talking about using satndard callipers on a rear chain stay 22mm mount pattern for a 160mm disc brake rotor. The A2Z AD PMR doesn't work with most bikes and callipers because of conflict with the seat stay. This adapter gets the calliper up above the seat stay where all the bikes today have their callipers mounted. It works with Hayes, Shimanno and Avid that I know of and probably all the other ones with IS mounting pattern too.
    But my point is you can make that A2Z adaptor work if you simply use a front caliper with it. I did that on an old Schwinn and was able to keep using a 160mm rotor. A2Z states you must use a 180mm rotor with the adaptor. When you use a front caliper it does not get pushed out as much, thus eliminating the conflict with the seatstay.

If you are trying to sell the adaptors you made on the forum I suggest you buy an ad to keep the moderators happy.

mtbr member
    No, he mentioned he had IS calipers so he would need a front caliper in back to run 160mm rotors.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    May 2009

22mm chain stay adapter

I will look into putting an advertisement up. Thanks.