Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bro Mountainbiker

2014 XTR M-987 Brake. Looks promising.

Shimano Puts XTR on a Diet, Intros New Brakes, 29er Carbon Tubulars, More

Shimano XTR Groupset 2014 ? First Look - BikeRadar

They look awesome. 80g lighter(total) than m985s!

Anyone have the inside scoop?
    Better yet, trail time?
    Anyone know about availability?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Anyone? I have to make my decision soon about which to buy, XT, XTR or wait for the new XTR. These guys have them on their website but no price yet.

Shimano XTR Race Rear Disc Brake Set BR-M987/BL-M987

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm in the same boat... wanting to ditch my Elixir 7s and considering XTR or Magura M8s . If the m987s are at the same price point as m985s and as durable, I'll be hunting for a good deal on those.

Too bad they went away from the one-piece caliper... that looks real strong and slick.

looking forward to reading some reviews and seeing prices
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    After SRAM's foray into magnesium calipers I won't be jumping at the chance to try another magnesium caliper.

I also dislike the move to a two piece caliper design. Really appreciate the one piece design of the 985/988, was one of the obvious things that differentiated them from the lower models (XT, SLX).

If it says anything I picked up a second pair of the 988s recently after seeing this design. I would've been far more interested in an updated trail model with no magnesium and a one piece caliper.

mtbr member
    I'm sure Shimano figured it out and the new brakes will be awesome but I couldn't wait. I ordered the current XTR Race discs today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    After SRAM's foray into magnesium calipers I won't be jumping at the chance to try another magnesium caliper.
    Please elaborate my discerning friend. Why is magnesium sub par?
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    Please elaborate my discerning friend. Why is magnesium sub par?
    There are a number of reports of people getting warranty for sram xx world cup magnesium brakes for aluminum versions. From the reports I've read the brake fluid caused a reaction with magnesium (possibly while heated), some of the problems were bad lever feel and the need for constant re-bleeding. Do a quick search on XX magnesium brake problems and you'll find a trend.

There's a good possibility the same issues won't happen with mineral oil and shimano's design, they do seem to test their brakes far better than avid. I'll stick with 985/988 and one piece calipers until these are a bit more proven in the real world. I like the idea of shaving weight, I'm just unsure of the material.

mtbr member
    Sram can't make brakes. I'm sure Shimano has figured it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Dot fluid is the cause of Sram's magnesium problems.

Xtr 987 will be what the 985's are... Awesome

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    do you have to use the new finned rotors with these or do they just allow you to go smaller if you want to?

Rub it............
    This is correct.

DOT brake fluid is in-compatible with magnesium. This causes the magnesium to become porous, allowing air into the system. They discontinued the magnesium master cylinders and now they are only made in aluminum.

A co-worker had the same issue happen 2 times. The last set of XX's have aluminum master cylinders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2014 XTR M-987 Brake. Looks promising.

Prices are getting pretty good for the current model 985s. Reason I'm not waiting for the 987:

Magnesium doesn't deal with heat so well. One of the preview articles (Bike I think) stated that the slick new rotor design will mitigate heat transfer to counter the magnesium properties.

I don't want to have to run the fancy new rotors, so I'm thinking the 985 is a better choice.

Hoping to get a set for under $350... Come on close outs!
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    any more ionfo on these brakes? Will using third party rotor make a noticeable difference in braking performance?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    any more ionfo on these brakes? Will using third party rotor make a noticeable difference in braking performance?
    You shoulnt have any braking problems with another brand rotor. If you live in the mountains, consider the Ice Techs. They are some SWEET rotors.

But, I recommend to pair the brand rotors with the brand brakes... They are designed to work together. For example, The hope floating rotors rivets can contact the caliper on Avid brake setups...

Not saying Hopes wont work, just make sure you do your research first!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I dont live in the mountains. The only reason I ride Ice techs is because I pulled 4 perfectly good (but glazed) ice techs out of the recycling bin at work.

Score!

mtbr member
    My LBS says late January for these. Anyone hear anything different?

I was hoping to ditch my MT-8's sooner than that but I guess I'll wait it out.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    any more info on these brakes? Will using third party rotor make a noticeable difference in braking performance?
    No going to make a difference just because they are third party, but it is important obviously to have quality rotors, not a $10 special from the bargain bin. I've ridden cheap back-up rotors on good calipers, and immediately noticed a difference in stopping power.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    From what I can see its looking like a mid-January 2014 release for these. Anyone had a chance to try a pre-release set up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Do a search mate and you'll get some feedback on my set.

There a good brake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A few US online retailers have the 987 in stock, at least they did last week when I checked.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Here is an update...

I spoke with the Southeastern Shimano rep about the m987 brake. I also got to ride the new di2/hydro brake system. (freaking sweet, but a different thread altogether)

The m987 brake is made of magnesium and is a ton lighter than the m985.
    Supposedly its all fine and dandy, and works just like you would expect a shimano brake to, but because of the magnesium caliper, finned pads and ice tech rotors are required.
    That kind of turned me off the brake, as it almost makes up for the weight savings...
    It also increases operating costs. Anyone who has recently purchased a set of finned pads or icetech rotors knows exactly what I am talking about.

Anyway, still excited to ride a set when they are available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    that is what I was worried about, i-e. the magnesium caliper requireing some special cooling equipement. Glad I went with the 985 race. Now if my freaking rear brake can get back in stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    No finned pads with mine. I am running ice-tech discs though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    LBS said that they just became available in the last few days. I just got a set on Wed Jan 22. I was going to get the older M985s, but couldn't find rear ones.

They come with regular Al backed non-finned pads. I haven't rode them yet as there is too much snow. My only nitpick so far is that the pad retaining bolt is slotted, not hex or torx!

As far as the Mg, most suspension fork lowers are Mg...
    Last edited by JoeG; 01-25-2014 at 08:13 PM.

I eat cats
    I am running the m987 with the finned pads and icetech rotors and so far love the setup. I have only had them a couple weeks with ~60 miles of trail riding here in So Cal so they have seen plenty of stress stopping my 195lb ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast