Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 XTR M-987 Brake. Looks promising.

15K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Kuttermax 
#1 ·
#33 ·
Is anyone had the same experience with the BL M987?:-"Issues with the new XTR brakes .From the beginning since it has been brand new I always had this :my best explanation :-at the start of the downhill section you have about 3/4 inch between the brake lever and your bar-end when you squeeze it .(which is the right distance and the brake feels ok.)But when you going down on the hill and using the brake the distance between the lever and the bar-end is growing /expanding.So you start with about 3/4 inch and you end up with about 2 or more inch.It's kind of unsafe since you starting to have less contact with the bar-end while you operating the lever.I understand it could be normal on stiff and long downhills regarding the increased brake temperature /heating.But I don't think that is the problem in my case :a) I never had this with the XT brakes even with the non shimano aftermarket rotors.b)Even in shorter or not too stiff downhills or where shouldn't be heating problem ,I get the same effects.Also when I start riding and I haven't even used the brake yet it's acting up too ,so again heating can not be the reason.......I really miss the smoothness the older version .But I enjoying the lighter weight.Since they changed the design I wondering if they messed up something (I know that would be extreme and not likely).Or I wondering if I just got a bad/defected set of calipers .One of my lever already had been changed didn't fix the problem.The brakes had been bleed numerous times."This brake system came on a new bike with the new ice tech rotors.Thx Gabe

#34 ·
so you mean that when you brake with the new XTR´s you get less brake effect the longer you hold the lever?
That sounds a bit worrying indeed my Maguras are like if i start to pedal and want to brake i can´t just pull the lever as i get no brake effect at all that is why i am having the lever/master cylinder replaced then i´m gonna sell them for just the M987´s but now i´m unsure if there is some malfunctions on them like new products sometimes do have.

#36 ·
I am currently installed a set of the 987's on my Niner. The front brake was easy. I'm now setting up the rear brake. I have XX1 and trying to figure out how to mount the shifter. I had Avid brakes before so the adapter from the old brakes doesn't work with the Shimano levers.

I found this online: Problem Solvers

However I'm not certain if these work with the new 987, or only the previous gen brakes. I emailed them but did not get a response.

Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.