Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 XTR M-987 Brake. Looks promising.

15K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Kuttermax 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I'm in the same boat... wanting to ditch my Elixir 7s and considering XTR or Magura M8s . If the m987s are at the same price point as m985s and as durable, I'll be hunting for a good deal on those.

Too bad they went away from the one-piece caliper... that looks real strong and slick.

looking forward to reading some reviews and seeing prices

#4 ·
After SRAM's foray into magnesium calipers I won't be jumping at the chance to try another magnesium caliper.

I also dislike the move to a two piece caliper design. Really appreciate the one piece design of the 985/988, was one of the obvious things that differentiated them from the lower models (XT, SLX).

If it says anything I picked up a second pair of the 988s recently after seeing this design. I would've been far more interested in an updated trail model with no magnesium and a one piece caliper.

#11 ·
This is correct.

DOT brake fluid is in-compatible with magnesium. This causes the magnesium to become porous, allowing air into the system. They discontinued the magnesium master cylinders and now they are only made in aluminum.

A co-worker had the same issue happen 2 times. The last set of XX's have aluminum master cylinders.

#12 ·
Prices are getting pretty good for the current model 985s. Reason I'm not waiting for the 987:

Magnesium doesn't deal with heat so well. One of the preview articles (Bike I think) stated that the slick new rotor design will mitigate heat transfer to counter the magnesium properties.

I don't want to have to run the fancy new rotors, so I'm thinking the 985 is a better choice.

Hoping to get a set for under $350... Come on close outs!

#14 ·
You shoulnt have any braking problems with another brand rotor. If you live in the mountains, consider the Ice Techs. They are some SWEET rotors.

But, I recommend to pair the brand rotors with the brand brakes... They are designed to work together. For example, The hope floating rotors rivets can contact the caliper on Avid brake setups...

Not saying Hopes wont work, just make sure you do your research first!

#21 ·
Here is an update...

I spoke with the Southeastern Shimano rep about the m987 brake. I also got to ride the new di2/hydro brake system. (freaking sweet, but a different thread altogether)

The m987 brake is made of magnesium and is a ton lighter than the m985.
Supposedly its all fine and dandy, and works just like you would expect a shimano brake to, but because of the magnesium caliper, finned pads and ice tech rotors are required.
That kind of turned me off the brake, as it almost makes up for the weight savings...
It also increases operating costs. Anyone who has recently purchased a set of finned pads or icetech rotors knows exactly what I am talking about.

Anyway, still excited to ride a set when they are available.

#24 · (Edited)
LBS said that they just became available in the last few days. I just got a set on Wed Jan 22. I was going to get the older M985s, but couldn't find rear ones.

They come with regular Al backed non-finned pads. I haven't rode them yet as there is too much snow. My only nitpick so far is that the pad retaining bolt is slotted, not hex or torx!

As far as the Mg, most suspension fork lowers are Mg...

#26 ·
I have a set of 987's I just put on a new Highball C build. First impressions, wow, the new carbon lever and the magnesium finish is nice. I shortened the hoses without the need for a bleed, but I am wondering if this may be the cause of a pad rubbing problem I have with the rear. Lever feel and response is amazing right now, but no amount of caliper centering is going to stop the rubbing. Is it possible I have too much fluid still in the system?

I am cautious to bleed because I do not want to lose the amazing feel I have with a bleed unless I have exhausted all resources. I was thinking of slowly releasing a very small amount of fluid from the lever port to buy a little wiggle room in the pad spacing. Thoughts?

#27 ·
Update: Still loving my 987's with the finned pads. I got on my HT with Magura MTS's the other day and the difference was crazy (granted this is an apples to oranges comparison and I know Magura has some good brakes above the MTS's). So far I have had zero problems and a lot of fun with these brakes. Haven't heard a peep out of them either (perhaps I bedded them in better than my Maguras which I had to use Squeel-Out on).

#28 ·
I have XT now but I really don't like the on/off feeling. Is there any diference between Xt and 987? I had MT6 before XT and I really liked the modulation but they have other problems...

The race version of Xtr have a more progresive feeling like the one of the maguras?

I'm considering also Hope.

#30 ·
My 5 year old XXs are finally shitting the bed after having never worked that well, a lot of good info in this thread--thanks guys. I'm going to go with 987s but I have a question regarding race/trail versions. Is the weight difference significant? Is the difference in power? Was thinking of putting a 180mm trail up front and a 160mm race out back.

#32 ·
They are insane!

I was feeling a little guilty when I ordered my set of 987s, but after the first ride I was very happy with everything from the weight, look, and most of all the modulation and power.

I was in the same boat as some of you - could've got a good deal on some 985s, but had to wait for the 987s to come out so I could build my dream ride

Best brakes I have used so far - super easy to bleed - in fact you don't even need to bleed them after you cut the hoses, I bled them just because I am a bike geek and wanted to see how to bleed them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.