Bike to the Bone...

2012 XT brakes or Magura MT-4

I currently have some Magura Louises BAT (2008) that so far I really like, but I'm looking for something a little bit lighter. I'm thinking that either the MT-4 or XT could fit the bit. I don't like the Elixirs, and Formula or Hope are out of my price range.

One of the things that I'm intrested is in reliability (I think that both Magura and Shimano are good on this), I've had a 2005 XT set, and I feel that the Louises that I've had have better modulation. But the new XT look pretty sweet from all the reviews, and the MT-4 I feel are the continuation of the Louises but with newer technology.

What I would like is a set that has a great modulation and will last me a long time. The only thing I don't really like about the Louises are the brake lever, and the level is about the only thing I liked on the Elixirs. I'm not bashing them, it's just that I don't like the Elixirs.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Having used both, I personally like the MT4's better. I like the modulation and feel, and they are quiet. They are more than an upgraded Louise, although they do have some of their pedigree in them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I prefer the short levers and power of the XT's, but it is a close call... the modulation of the MT series is better. Can't go wrong with either one.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Having used both, I personally like the MT4's better. I like the modulation and feel, and they are quiet. They are more than an upgraded Louise, although they do have some of their pedigree in them.
    Are they similar in power? Also, how does the lever feel like? It's about the only thing I'm don't like much about the Louises, it feels like it has play or something, everything about the Louises are pretty good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i like more the XTs over mt4

MTBR Contributing Editor
    A bit less power than the XT's which is hardly noticeable in comparision, since if you grab some brake they work just fine, but better modulation and tactile response. They have a longer lever throw, but don't have the slop of the Louise.

MT's:
    The brakes have a superb tactile feel, which gives rise to an incredible touch, control and communication, and your hands become ‘One’ with the ground/bike interface. They offer great modulation, excellent power and heat resistance, and the rotors spin drag free through the calipers. The caliper’s design makes them the quietest brake I have ridden, and even getting them extremely hot on long steep downhills never changed their silent characteristic. They aren’t the most powerful brake on the market (easily solved by bumping up a rotor size), but they more than make up for any deficit, with other remarkable and useful characteristics.

In a nutshell, they are strong, quiet, fade free and powerful, modulate well, and have a superb tactile feel from the ergonomic brake lever down into the ground.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    A bit less power than the XT's which is hardly noticeable in comparision, since if you grab some brake they work just fine, but better modulation and tactile response. They have a longer lever throw, but don't have the slop of the Louise.

MT's:
    The brakes have a superb tactile feel, which gives rise to an incredible touch, control and communication, and your hands become ‘One’ with the ground/bike interface. They offer great modulation, excellent power and heat resistance, and the rotors spin drag free through the calipers. The caliper’s design makes them the quietest brake I have ridden, and even getting them extremely hot on long steep downhills never changed their silent characteristic. They aren’t the most powerful brake on the market (easily solved by bumping up a rotor size), but they more than make up for any deficit, with other remarkable and useful characteristics.

In a nutshell, they are strong, quiet, fade free and powerful, modulate well, and have a superb tactile feel from the ergonomic brake lever down into the ground.
    Regarding power, as long as the MT4 are as powerfull as the Louises I don't need more if what I gain is modulation and a little firmer lever. I have my louises with 8 in rotor in front and 6 in the rear and I like that combo.

Can i use the same bleeding kit with the MT4?

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969 View Post
    Regarding power, as long as the MT4 are as powerfull as the Louises I don't need more if what I gain is modulation and a little firmer lever. I have my louises with 8 in rotor in front and 6 in the rear and I like that combo.

Can i use the same bleeding kit with the MT4?
    It uses the kit that has two syringes.