mtbr member

2012 XT or 2012 XO?

Looking to get new brakes on my Rune as I'm not really liking the new Magura MT6. Thinking of either the new XT or XO What do you think?

I weigh around 185 kitted up and ride pretty aggresive. Bike set up is a Banshee Rune with DHX 5.0 and Float 36 160.

T.W.O.
    Both brakes are full of tech and both are very powerful. Although both are not my first 2 choices. I'd go with the XT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Both brakes are full of tech and both are very powerful. Although both are not my first 2 choices. I'd go with the XT.
    Well know I'm curious what would Be your first choice?

T.W.O.
    Magura or formula. Mt8 or the one.

MTBR Member
    Mt8 or the one.
    Apples to oranges? I dunno...but I think the R1 would be a more direct comparison.

FWIW...I'm really diggin' my MT8s. Hope makes a good brake too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 XT or 2012 XO?-dsc_1348.jpg  

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Apples to oranges? I dunno...but I think the R1 would be a more direct comparison.

FWIW...I'm really diggin' my MT8s. Hope makes a good brake too.
    I was referring to lever feel as the power would be a non issue for me. . Btw that's a nice set up.

mtbr member
    I just haven't had the greatest time with my Magura MT6 in less than 3 months I've had a leaking right master cylinder, on the left the reach adjust broke, sheared off rotor bolts and broken seal on a bleed port screw. They have nice modulation and a great ergonomic feel, but lack in initial bite and raw stopping power for what I personally like.

banned
    Oct 2011
    i am prefer 2012 XO

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im in the same boat, been looking for about a week now. If the OP is looking in this range then other suggestions in the 300-400.00 range would be most helpful. The MT8 are great but at double the price...

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    I just haven't had the greatest time with my Magura MT6 in less than 3 months I've had a leaking right master cylinder, on the left the reach adjust broke, sheared off rotor bolts and broken seal on a bleed port screw. They have nice modulation and a great ergonomic feel, but lack in initial bite and raw stopping power for what I personally like.
    Have you tried contacting Jude from Magura, he's very helpful. I had a few problems with my Marta and Wotan fork he took care of me well. That's one of the reason Magura is my top pick.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cant you get into the XTR M985 at the same price point as the 2012 XO??

mtbr member
    Does the 2012 XO have the new body-mounted bleed port like the Elixir and XX models? It doesn't look so on their website. If not, I'd stay away from XO (or any model with the port mounted on the pad contact adjuster dial), they're a pain in the ass to bleed. If you go that route, make sure you get the newer HS1 or HSX rotors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    SRAM has less modulation than new Shimano.

Lever feel on new Shimano is awesome IMO, but is more like 1 finger than 2 finger.

I dont drag my brakes all the way down, so it may be riding style too. Some friends run their brakes "looser" and will have them 1/4 pulled the whole way down, and they don't like the short lever feel. That's cause they're gay, again just my opinion.
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

T.W.O.
    There's a few thread that cover the Servo wave lever feel/action check it out here's example.
    Servo Wave action. Not sure if I like it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Does the 2012 XO have the new body-mounted bleed port like the Elixir and XX models? It doesn't look so on their website. If not, I'd stay away from XO (or any model with the port mounted on the pad contact adjuster dial), they're a pain in the ass to bleed. If you go that route, make sure you get the newer HS1 or HSX rotors.
    Yes the 2012 XO had a redesign and they moved the bleed port to the lever body.

mtbr member
    Have you tried contacting Jude from Magura, he's very helpful. I had a few problems with my Marta and Wotan fork he took care of me well. That's one of the reason Magura is my top pick.
    Yeah I have spoken to both Jude and Cory, and I have to say there CS is second to none. They have dealt with my problems at lightening speed and to that I am very grateful

Its just that the last time they broke on me I was on a 18 mile ride in Tahoe, and my rear brake failed and left me with just a front in sandy loose conditions, not fun! Maybe I have all the bad juju out the way and should give them another shot!