mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2012 The Ones better than 2008/09?

I have had 2008/09 Formula The One's on a bike and they have been my introduction to excellent braking.

I have a spare rear caliper/lever/hose set (bought from ebay) that has been a stand-in while the main set have needed servicing. I'm looking at this situation and now that the 2008/09 is no longer available I'm thinking that the spare brake doesn't carry much realistic secondhand value. While I have other bikes running other brakes (XTR Trails), the Formulas really have been a delight to use.

My options are:

1. Leave things as they are
    2. Trade a set of XTR Trails (ebay or private sale) for 2008/09 The One spare parts from Chain reaction to make up a second set
    3. Sell the spare on ebay. Sell the XTR Trails and get a bang up to date set of 2012 The Ones.

The thing that might make the difference in my decision is if anyone could say that the later Formula The Ones (with the R1 style lever) are an improvement over my early model.

The brakes are for a 6" travel bike, ridden aggressively. I weigh 200lbs. I tend to use 180mm rotors front and rear with brakes this good. Occasional Alps use will feature.

mtbr member
    Just sent you a PM.