Slovakia (Europe)

2012 Hope Race X2 EVO vs. 2012 Formula R1

After many years with various Hope brakes (XC4, Mini, Mono M4, Tech M4) I switched to 2012 Formula R1 because of weight saving. These brakes have enough power for me (180 front/180 rear), but pad clearance is very small and pad rubbing occures from time to time. When swaping the wheels with newer discs (by ca. 0.2mm thicker as the older ones), I have to push the pistons inside, otherwise the wheels can't be mounted. Lever blade is quite short to reach comfortly with Sram grip shifters, the shape is also not on par with Hope's and lever blade return is a bit spongy (this is just cosmetic). Lever travel is much shorter than Hope's that affects the modulation.
    Recently I've found BikeRadar brake tests and I was surprised by 110 Nm braking force of Hope Race X2 EVO vs. 107 Nm of Formula R1. That looks promissing for me. Can anybody second these measurements by real-life experience? Any real comparisons of both?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had Formula R1's and Hope Race X2 (not the EVO). You know the lever difference but the EVO supposedly the pivot is moved on the lever increasing the power. Everything else you know such as the difference of rotor thickness. My experience with the R1 is that it was more on/off and had less modulation but more power then the Hope. The Hope had less power and there was an occasion or two in which I wanted more brake. I have since sold both and using XTR.

Slovakia (Europe)
    That pivot moved position is what I'm interested to be compared, because it should increase max. power compared to previous non-EVO X2 (by 15%, as per claims). Using maths, non-EVO should be 95.6 Nm, while Formula R1 is 107 Nm, that is significant difference, but EVO X2 is 110 Nm, that is more than current R1.
    Last edited by PeterG; 10-08-2012 at 04:51 AM.

mtbr member
    I have the 2011 R1's and the 2012 Evo's. I find the braking force not significantly different with modulation being similar as well. I don't like the circles cut out on the EVO blades, but not a huge deal.

Any slight braking force between these two brakes can be overcome by switching pads. I find the sintered pad on the front for the R1's really makes them bite, which I like in my brakes. I run 160mm rotors, but clearly would have more power with larger rotors. When either brake is set up correctly they work very well.

Bottom line, both are good brakes and I don't think you could go wrong with either. To me, the R1 looks better but customer support has sucked. The Hope were cheaper and customer support has been better. I'm still intrigued by the XTRs although still haven't had a chance to use them yet.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Slovakia (Europe)
    Is the pad clearance larger in the Hope, or the same as in the R1?
    One more question: Do you have Tech X2 EVO or Race X2 EVO?
    Last edited by PeterG; 10-08-2012 at 05:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Pad clearance it tight on the R1, doesn't seem to affect anything for me though.

Race EVO
    CyclingCentralVa.org