Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

2012 Formula R1 Racing or XTR?

Looking to replace my Elixirs this season. I'm wondering if anyone has time on either the R1 Racing or XTR brakes. I like that the R1 has a matchmaker type bracket to mount up my SRAM shifter, but am concerned that the R1 rotor clearance may still be abysmal.
    XTR seems like it may be more reliable but with a few grams more weight. Any thoughts?

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Formula R1 pad clearance forced me to sell my near new R1's. Picked up some XTR race brakes from Pro Mountain Outfitters and am very pleased all the way around.

official eMpTyBRain
    Are you kidding? R1s are way down on the list compared to XTRs. I'd give Magura brakes a second place in this case.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    just ordered another set of XTR's today.

empty beer member
    I'm running XTR race with HS1 rotors and they are fantastic!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    It looks like it'll be XTRs for me.

I have an old pair of Formula K24s that work great. I was hoping the R1 would be a lighter improvement on that design. They look damn sexy!

mtbr member

Formula

THE ONES

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I thought The Ones were for ultralight carbon 29ers. Those wagon wheels can't be that hard to slow down.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For the record, I like my older Formula Ones a lot and still have them on one bike. The new R1's just never could get them right for my tastes (pad gap) mainly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    THanks BT,
    Tree has been praising the Ones since he picked up a set. I'd go that route, but am looking to drop some weight so I can keep up.

mtbr member
    They are just as light as the xtr's and the R1's are lighter.
    No experience with the R1's though.
    Get some 650b's

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure what all the bad press is on the pad clearance for the R1's, but I set them up on my bike and have had NO ISSUES. I bought both the XTR 985 race and the R1's and did a side-by-side comparison between the two on the same trail. In the end I sold the XTR's on eBay (I'm an XTR fanatic, so it was a hard decision but had to go with the brake that felt the best overall).

For the record I'm an advanced rider from the DFW area and my test trail was a fairly technical 20+ mile multi-loop singletrack course. I ran 160 rotors for both XTR and R1ís.

My bike setup is an Ellsworth Truth, with a Pace RC39 fork and full XTR groupo (except the brakes).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The formula calipers are great, but the R1 rotors are terrible for their harmonics. I use older model shimano rotors, and they are dead quiet.

mtbr member
    Formulas are not very well built. Far down the list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I fell the old Formula K24s I have are as high quality as any of their competitors. They have great power, but not so much modulation, so they're staying on my DJ/urban bike.

Jarhead, as you've stated, most of negative reviews I've read on the R1s complain about constant pad rub due to tight pad clearance. This surprises me since the Ones get glowing reviews. Did you have to drop the fluid level to get better pad clearance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Only a couple of rides so far on my new XTR Race, but they were easy to set up, easy to bleed, and so far do there job really well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have XTR Race and last years R1's.
    They are both great brakes.
    R1 is a little lighter.
    My XTR started acting up on a 28 degree ride....( if you never ride in this temp, don't worry about it)
    Pad clearance is tighter on the R1....but I have no problems with it once I spent an extra 2 minutes setting it up.
    Both levers feel very different....I don't have a favorite.
    Price is very different if you have to pay reatil....

LightJunction.com
    I'd go with the R1s. Both brakes are pretty awesome, but Formula released that new quick-release hydraulic hose kit this year that you can upgrade those brakes with. How cool is that?
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrecklessREX View Post
    I'm running XTR race with HS1 rotors and they are fantastic!
    same here!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I scored a sweet price on Fleabay set of XTR Race's last night. Snipe-a-riffic!

Still lust after the F1 Racings...maybe next time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    I fell the old Formula K24s I have are as high quality as any of their competitors. They have great power, but not so much modulation, so they're staying on my DJ/urban bike.

Jarhead, as you've stated, most of negative reviews I've read on the R1s complain about constant pad rub due to tight pad clearance. This surprises me since the Ones get glowing reviews. Did you have to drop the fluid level to get better pad clearance?
    My bike and front fork are IS, so had to get the mounting brackets to fit PS brakes, but with a quick (and proper) setup I didn't find any issues with the pad clearance. As far as dropping the fluid level - not sure. I had to shorten the hoses to fit my bike and did a bleed job afterward. I didn't make a conscious effort to lower the brake fluid, but maybe I did anyway?

I do need to qualify my comments a little as I've only been riding them for a few months and no big wrecks or bends in the rotors. I do notice a squeal on the front pads/rotors but not bad enough that I want to replace anything yet - we'll see after it gets a little worse. I like the comment from another poster that mentions older Shimano rotors to get rid of the noise and may try that sometime soon.

Anybody else have recommendations on good quiet rotors and pads??

mtbr member
    May 2010
    a few rides on my xtr race and just loving it...

MarkyMark
    I have the Formula RX on my Mojo SL they're great on normal rides (<20 miles), but my hands start cramping on longer ones with a lot of downhill due to the lack of adjustability.

Also, getting the pad clearance right on the RX was a pain. I bought and installed a set of XTR Trail brakes and they were super simple to setup. I needed the greater degree of lever adjustability on the XTR vs the RX and I'm hoping modulation is like my Hope X2s.

BTW, the XTR brakes hoses are all screwy and sit flat again my bar. I've rolled and unrolled them and can't get them to sit right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula Brakes are extremely well built,

Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Formulas are not very well built. Far down the list.
    I ride One's and they are the best brake on the planet.

To say that they are not "well built" is retarded. The forging is absolutely perfect.

If you don't like the engineering, you are hard to please. One finger braking all day in a package that is as light as a cross country set of brakes. Why not the best?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Got my XTR races installed and one city ride on them. Great power and modulation. I think the Servo-Wave on the Trails would have been overkill for me since I've got giant meat hooks for hands.

The lever shape is perfect for one-finger braking and these actually mate up with X0 shifters better than the SRAM levers in my opinion. Happy so far.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast