mtbr member

2012 Elixir/Code Experience?

I had a set of Avid 2010 XX and 2012 XX WC brakes. The 2010's were ok and didn't really have any issues with them, I don't think I ever bled them. The 2011s had nothing but issues, I had to bleed them 5 times, If i let them sit for a week or two the lever would go soft and the rear brake lever finally stopped returning. I had them warrantied and they sent a set of 2012 XX WCs.
    Sram says they changed the internals for 2012 and it should eliminate the problems I had with the 2011's, they also changed the factory bleed procedure and should come from the factory ready to roll. At our shop I had to bleed almost every 2011 set that came through our shop. The 2012s they sent feel allot better, but still not as good as the Maguras I usually run.
    I am looking at buying a bike with a set of Elixir 7's or build one with Codes. But the bike will sit for months at a time and I don't want to worry about bleeding them after sitting for a while. How are the new 2012s doing?
    Have they really improved the design?
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

LightJunction.com
    I've been riding the Elixir CR brakes for a few months. Not terrible. Not awesome. I didn't have to do any bleeding out of the box, which was odd considering I'd had to bleed about 75% of the brakes I've ever bought from Avid. They give incredible stopping power, but suffer when it comes to modulation (I use 203mm rotors). One thing I've been particularly disappointed in is the amount of play the pads have developed. My best guess is that it's lateral play that has developed in the pistons after heaving braking. It's not noticeable if you riding down the trail, but if you grab the brakes and rock the bike front to back, there's noticeable movement in the wheel. All in all I'm not disappointed with the brakes, but I'm definitely considering trying another brand next season.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    I have the 2012 Elixir XO's. Had to be bled because the rear hose needed to be shortened. Incredible stopping power, good lever feel. Slightly noisy at times, but not a big deal. I really like them. No leaks, air, or soft lever so far. Plus they are bad-azz looking.

SANCTUS
    Have you read the reviews? in general Avids suck, buy shimano if you want hassle free reliable brakes, I run shimano on all my bikes with no issues....ever.I truly hope the Avid 2012s are better
    Last edited by BUSTELO; 02-03-2012 at 12:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I have the 2012 Elixir XO's. Had to be bled because the rear hose needed to be shortened. Incredible stopping power, good lever feel. Slightly noisy at times, but not a big deal. I really like them. No leaks, air, or soft lever so far. Plus they are bad-azz looking.
    Good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO
    Have you read the reviews? in general Avids suck, buy shimano if you want hassle free reliable brakes, I run shimano on all my bikes with no issues....ever.I truly hope the Avid 2012s are better
    Like I said I had a few pairs and the 2011's were horrible, but they said they fixed the issues for 2012. I read reviews and for the testing I saw they seemed to be good. But my 2011's didn't develop problems until a few months in. So I wanted to see what the far long term experience (so far) has been.

Here is what I saw
    Avid Elixir 7 Brakes - Tested - Pinkbike.com
    S-Works all the bikes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I bought a bike with Juicy 5's in 07, had to bleed em right away but then they ran well for a couple years til I moved to a lower elevation now I have to bleed em twice a season minimum. Bought another bike with 2012 Elixir 9's "pre-bled" a few months ago they needed to be bled before I could get any lever at all in either front or rear. Bled the rear with no problem, aside from the rather time consuming and complicated bleed procedure, and actually liked the way the brake felt (as much as brake feel can be experienced without actually riding). Bled the front and no difference in the feel from pre-bleeding, promptly stripped both front and rear brake systems and put em on e-bay.

I'm putting the new XT 785's on instead, I'll eat a few bucks to have a reliable easier to maintain brake system. Everything I've read is that Shimano's hydro's are far superior to Avid's, easier to maintain better feel... basically everything, not to mention never having to deal with DOT brake fluid again. I'm done with Avid brakes, I don't mind doing a little maintenance but I really would like something that just works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    Sure, Avid gets some bad press, especially on this forum. But in reality, if you think about how many thousands of Avid brand brakes are on the trails, they are not more or less reliable than any other brand. BUSTELO is just drinking cool aid.

74 & 29 pilot
    I have the new Elixer 9's on my '12 Session 88. They are better than most previous Avid brakes in every way, BUT I've already had to bleed them after two months of DH use. They get over heated after 2-3 runs and loose modulation. I think they would be great AM brakes, but not sure they are cut out for DH. Good stopping power, good modulation and all the adjust ability that you need.

I also just got the '12 XX brakes from warranty on my '11 XXs. My '11 XX were garbage! They have changed from a magnesium caliper to an aluminum one. So hopefully that helps. I only have two rides on them, so I can't give a good review yet. No problems so far and they do feel more solid.

The new "heat shedding" rotors ARE much better than the previous rotors! No sharp edges to catch the front of the pads.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Looks like I will be selling the avids
    S-Works all the bikes!

I Love my Rize

Good job! This is what you need to do

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I have the new Elixer 9's on my '12 Session 88. They are better than most previous Avid brakes in every way, BUT I've already had to bleed them after two months of DH use. They get over heated after 2-3 runs and loose modulation. I think they would be great AM brakes, but not sure they are cut out for DH. Good stopping power, good modulation and all the adjust ability that you need.

I also just got the '12 XX brakes from warranty on my '11 XXs. My '11 XX were garbage! They have changed from a magnesium caliper to an aluminum one. So hopefully that helps. I only have two rides on them, so I can't give a good review yet. No problems so far and they do feel more solid.

The new "heat shedding" rotors ARE much better than the previous rotors! No sharp edges to catch the front of the pads.

MTBP
    These are the BEST pads made;;;;;;; get the ceramic ones as they are heat shielded. They make 3 versions Burly, Aggressive and Ceramic The Ceramic are for serious downhill.
    Mojo Wheels - Item Detail

Then bleed your brakes with this and you will have the downhill brakes of your dreams....

Motul RBF 600 Performance Brake Fluid

GAME OVER.

Post a follow up if you do this and tell me what you think. Beat the snot out of them and they will not change.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY