mtbr member
    Sep 2012

2012 Elixir 7 reach adjustment

Just got a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er HT with Elixir 7 brakes. Being 6'8" I have pretty big mitts and want to move the levers out as much as possible. But as I turn the adjustment knob to move the levers the brake pads also come closer to the rotors, to the point that when I have the levers where I want them to be the pads constantly rub on the rotors.

The guy at the shop had told me that this adjustment would only move the levers and not affect the pads. I called them this morning and the guy said to give a few hard squeezes to the brakes... didn't do anything.

I live 45 minutes away from the shop so I'm tapping the collective brain to see if there's anything I can try before driving all the way out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Try this. Turn the pad contact adjuster all the way out, then set your reach adjustment where you want it. Remove the wheels and carefully press the pistons apart until they are fully seated in their bores. If you leave the brake pads installed when you do this be careful not to score or damage the pads. Re-install the wheels. Give a few good firm pulls on each lever to reset the pads and check for rub. If you get no rub then reset you contact adjustment to suit you and your good to go. If you do get rub then the system was likely slightly over filled with fluid at the factory. If that's the case then come on back and we'll run through that procedure. Not hard to do, but needs to be done carefully.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Unfortunately the pad contact adjuster is only on the Elixir 9's. I guess that leaves too much fluid in the system as the problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Turns out the fix was much simpler than expected! When you turn the reach adjustment screw to bring out the lever after a certain point the lever stops moving out and then the pads start moving in. I hadn't noticed that. So the trick was to dial back the screws until the pads opened up and stop before the levers started moving in. Seems to me there should be a limiter to that screw if you're not supposed to go further than a certain point. At least I now have drag free brakes!