mtbr member

2012 Avid Code R's or XT's?

I currently have on my '09 GT Sanction Avid Juicy 5's. I have been one of the lucky ones with my Avid's with no turkey gobble or other issues. It is evident that these brakes don't have a ton of power and on long descents I get some brake fade. I'm wanting to upgrade brakes over the winter for next season. I can get a great deal on some 2012 Code R's with rotors. The reviews of these have been great and sounds like the re-design has fixed most of the issues avid has been known for. However, they weight the same as my Juicy 5's now (about 400grams each). Should I go for the Code's for more power/same weight or give up the ghost and switch over to XT 785's which I know will be great for power and not fade with an added bonus of dropping about 200 grams overall?

Farva's #1
    Forget weight, Codes will be too much brake for your application. I suggest XO Trail or XT. Haven't bled the XO Trail yet (Elixirs are fussy!) but you know the Shimanos will be easy to bleed. They are almost the exact same price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCovert View Post
    Forget weight, Codes will be too much brake for your application. I suggest XO Trail or XT. Haven't bled the XO Trail yet (Elixirs are fussy!) but you know the Shimanos will be easy to bleed. They are almost the exact same price.
    Funny for you to dismiss the codes for my intended application when I didn't state any intended application other than the need for better brakes. I'm leaning towards the XT's. Just reaching out for those with some experience.

mtbr member
    You can set up both options so that there would be a lot of crossover in application.
    I like the way that the Codes feel-the 2011 and 2012 Codes are awesome.
    Tune the Codes to your liking with pad choice and rotor size for XC/Park/DH.
    The XTs are great brakes and when run with larger rotors, they do well for a variety of steep terrain and prolonged braking.
    With the Codes, you know what you are getting-DH stopping power from the start, but they modulate very well and you learn how to use them in low speed and XC situations( the situations that people would say they are too much brake for.)
    The XTs are more capable than people think and more often than not, people seem surprised with how well they perform across a variety of terrain and riding styles.
    I run XTs on a 34lb Nomad with 8" rotors front and back. I ride that bike everywhere and the brakes are good for everything from mellow XC with minimal braking to long descents(5K+ with lots of braking).
    Only time that the XTs are "lacking" is when first getting on them at very high speed on very steep descents were the don't provide the "instant" grab that a true DH brake can. The power just feels like it comes on later compared to Codes in that situation.
    Both brakes are easy to maintain and bleed and swapping pads is simple as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    You can set up both options so that there would be a lot of crossover in application.
    I like the way that the Codes feel-the 2011 and 2012 Codes are awesome.
    Tune the Codes to your liking with pad choice and rotor size for XC/Park/DH.
    The XTs are great brakes and when run with larger rotors, they do well for a variety of steep terrain and prolonged braking.
    With the Codes, you know what you are getting-DH stopping power from the start, but they modulate very well and you learn how to use them in low speed and XC situations( the situations that people would say they are too much brake for.)
    The XTs are more capable than people think and more often than not, people seem surprised with how well they perform across a variety of terrain and riding styles.
    I run XTs on a 34lb Nomad with 8" rotors front and back. I ride that bike everywhere and the brakes are good for everything from mellow XC with minimal braking to long descents(5K+ with lots of braking).
    Only time that the XTs are "lacking" is when first getting on them at very high speed on very steep descents were the don't provide the "instant" grab that a true DH brake can. The power just feels like it comes on later compared to Codes in that situation.
    Both brakes are easy to maintain and bleed and swapping pads is simple as well.
    I own both of these brakes. The xt's are on my trail bike (Mojo HD) and the codes are on my DH rig. The above is an excellent comparison of both. If you are worried about fade on long, hard and demanding descents then go with the codes. In my experience they don't fade that much at all. The xt's are just awesome though and I have taken then DHing several times and they have performed excellently. You cant go wrong with either. Id say if you are planning on doing some legit descending then go with the Codes, if your gravity demands are slightly more casual then get the XT's.

mtbr member
    I have been absolutely blown away with what Shimano has been doing the past few years. Really superb brakes. Avid - meh, I have personally never got along great with them - they like to gobble a lot and that makes me want to eat turkey all the time.

but as others have said - if more DH (lift accessed) I would say codes over XT (or saints over both of them) for AM then XT.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks for the help everybody!