mtbr member
    Feb 2005

2011 Saints overkill for 6" AM bike?

Well?

I'm just wondering as I searched some posts in this forum and see most are running the Saint brakes on DH rigs. The setup would be a 160mm rotor out back and 180mm up front.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    It would be overkill. You would probably be better off with XT or XTR if you're stuck with the Shimano name. This question does depend upon your actual weight too, but even still-I think it would be overkill.

I considered them too, but they are super beefy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    235 ish with gear.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What about for me, im 250# currently running hayes stroker trails 203front 185rear and the stopping power is very unimpressive. Was thinking saint 180 f and r any other suggestions for serious reliable stopping power

maker of trail
    It would be help full if OP mentioned the brakes currently being used and size of rotors.

You can realize more stopping power two ways, larger rotors, or more powerful brakes, or both.

I'd rather have too much brake than not enough.

So what might be "overkill" to some, is not enough for others.

FWIW, I'm app 200lb all geared up and run codes with 8" rotors f/r and I've never been on a trail ride and though gosh darn I have too much brake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm currently running Juicy 7's with 175mm rotors which I'm growing tired of. They have always had the turkey gobble on the rear brake no matter what I do. They also have serious fade on extended downs to the point of losing the rear brake.

maker of trail
    saints won't disappoint.

Also how are you braking? Are you constantly dragging the brake to scrub speed or letting off and braking like you mean it when you need to?

Constant dragging will over heat brakes, so a change in technique could help too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Its not too much brake. I love "too-powerful" brakes on my 6" bike as well as my big bike, I run Saints with 8" rotors front and rear. (I weigh 220 though). Once you get used to using a light touch and finessing the modulation, you will find you have utmost control and confidence, hands dont cramp up and you dont have to worry about fading on long descents with Saints, especially if you run at least a 7" rotor in the back since you are heavy.You might cook a 6" rotor, depending on the trails you ride. The new XTR trails are supposed to be great, a tad less power but strong enough and lighter, but expensive. Saints will change your riding style, you will find that you will drag the brakes less, and brake later before corners and tech sections because you know you can slow down quickly with less lever pressure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No constant dragging. I only brake when I need to.

I'm looking forward to trying the saints then. I'm not a weight weenie by any means so the small amount of the additional weight over the XTR's is probably worth the trade off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I didnt mean to assume you are a brake dragger, sorry. For me, I wasnt really a brake dragger when I had jucies, but with saints they're dragged even less! Funny how ya get used to different stuff, i rode for a while on my 6" bike with my old backup Jucies and they felt so weak in comparison. Years ago I thought jucies were da bomb!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yeah, strokers are terrible, Saints are unbelievably stronger and better modulation.

Quote Originally Posted by slegos888 View Post
    What about for me, im 250# currently running hayes stroker trails 203front 185rear and the stopping power is very unimpressive. Was thinking saint 180 f and r any other suggestions for serious reliable stopping power

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff View Post
    It would be help full if OP mentioned the brakes currently being used and size of rotors.

You can realize more stopping power two ways, larger rotors, or more powerful brakes, or both.

I'd rather have too much brake than not enough.

So what might be "overkill" to some, is not enough for others.

FWIW, I'm app 200lb all geared up and run codes with 8" rotors f/r and I've never been on a trail ride and though gosh darn I have too much brake.
    Thats what I was thinking, ill probably get the saints and keep my 203 up front.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    With your weight, you could manage the Saints quite nicely. They've got 4 pistons in each caliper and it is supposed to help with modulation as the first two on each side initiate first then the two others come into play when you start to really bite down. I've been riding some 2,000 foot decents lately with Elixir 3s, it is becoming hellish. I weigh 191 and probably 210 when all geared up, but I am going to pick up XTR brakes. Considered Saints, but they were a little bit too strong for me. Remember though, on your front brake, when they bite on a big rotor, like most brakes, they will really stop hard. These ones more so than others as they are quite truly intended for steep and long descents. Enjoy-they are sexy brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    I didnt mean to assume you are a brake dragger, sorry. For me, I wasnt really a brake dragger when I had jucies, but with saints they're dragged even less! Funny how ya get used to different stuff, i rode for a while on my 6" bike with my old backup Jucies and they felt so weak in comparison. Years ago I thought jucies were da bomb!
    No worries...didn't think that at all. I thought that same thing about the Juicy 7's when I got them a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Personally, I feel there's no such thing as too much power, you just need to use a lighter touch. An acquaintance of mine weighs maybe 130 lbs and runs Saints with a 180/160mm rotor combo on a 6" travel bike. I've ridden her bike around a bit on some XC-ish trails and I didn't find the brakes to be overly grabby or lacking in control once I got used to the feel. They stopped like you wouldn't believe on the faster downhill sections but even on the slower flat sections I had no problems modulating the brakes and keeping the wheels rolling while braking for turns. I weigh about 150 for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm thinking about saints for my AM rig. I've had juicy 7's on my recent bikes, not really by choice, they just came on the bikes an I never changed them. They were good for 70% of my riding but when I go to the bike park I am unhappy with the fade and lack of braking power. It may be a huge jump to the saints but, as others have mentioned, I think I would prefer to learn to deal with too much braking power than settle for not enough. I am also a 200+ lb rider, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have Saints on two 29er's and my Freeride bike. They're awesome,but you have to buy RT-76 or RT-86 front rotor for the Saints to operate at full power.

However if you're a "grabber" I definitely wouldn't recommend them. If you panic and suddenly grab the Saints you will be over the handlebars in no time. The Saints require more skill and precision than a regular set of brakes. That's not to say you have to be perfectly smooth hands to use them but the Saints work best with a light touch. You also have to be able to release the Saints quickly.

If you're accustomed to using Avid Codes then you shouldn't have any problems with the Saints,I have Codes on most of my other bikes. However if you're using Elixirs or Juicy's the Saints are whole new world of power that have to potential to significantly prove your descending experience.

I'm currently running Juicy 7's with 175mm rotors which I'm growing tired of. They have always had the turkey gobble on the rear brake no matter what I do. They also have serious fade on extended downs to the point of losing the rear brake.

Comparing the Saints to the Juicy 7's is akin to comparing Morton's to McDonald's. These are two experiences that exist on entirely different levels of reality. Again I can't emphasize this enough:when you get the Saints you need to get an RT-76 or RT-86 front rotor this will complete the Shimano Saint experience.
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 09-10-2011 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just another voice to say that too much brake is probably a good thing. Also, if you have more braking power you may find yourself riding differently knowing that you can stop better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have a new set of Saints waiting to be installed.