mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2011 Magura Louise Bat install issues

I just got done installing these to my bike - 180 front - 160 rear
    After the install and cutting the hoses as best per instructions provided. I took it for a test ride.
    I find that I don't have enough power to lock up the rear wheel - I have played with the bite adjust and lever reach and it just seems like the power is "hit or miss"
    The front brake lever, doesn't have a lot of power at all. I took the bike to a hill that I rode when I first got the bike that came with Tektro Novela Mechs. I though surely I will find an amazing difference.
    It wasn't an amazing difference. Like the brakes just weren't performing - maybe up to their abilities.
    Do I need to have a break in period on the pads?
    Do I need to bleed them? After installing I pumped the levers several times and got a little more feel in them, but they aren't grabbing like I was expecting and each brake has a different amount of "grab" to them, which is a bit weird. I'm not even sure I could throw myself over my bars - definitely not on level ground. The Novela's were capable of at least what these are showing or more.
    It just seems unbalanced.
    Advise?
    Last edited by sburnett; 09-17-2011 at 11:22 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member
    Even before I bedded in the pads on my Marta SLs, I could lock up the brakes. Maybe you contaminated your pads or rotors.

mtbr member
    In cutting the hoses down to size, are you sure that you did not get any air in the system? If it were me, I would try bleeding both brakes (or get your mechanic to).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah it sounds like you might have some air in there. in my opinion magura brakes are quite easy to bleed - there are good tuition videos on the magura website that goes through the process, and links to their in house support forum.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    magura brakes are notoriously difficult to bleed. its virtually impossible without their bleed kit. cutting the hose would probably require a bleed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I appreciate the input guys - I am fairly certain the pads are not contaminated. I don't get that sense from the way they are grabbing, and I was very careful in the installation.
    I will check into the bleeding - the kit cost about the same as it would probably cost to have a Mech do it so I might take it in. Though if i have to again - it would be nice to only pay once.
    Just so I know, how do you for sure avoid air in the system after cutting hoses?
    I'll probably order a bleed kit, it would be good to learn and good to have on hand -
    What is the general consensus on Magura Louise? I got rid of mismatched Avid Juicy5 rear and Tektro Novela front for them.
    I'll update what I find out with the Bleed.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by brake jack View Post
    magura brakes are notoriously difficult to bleed. its virtually impossible without their bleed kit. cutting the hose would probably require a bleed.
    Are you talking about the new ones where bleeding was made easier (a few years ago) or the previous ones which where supposidly hard to bleed?

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by sburnett View Post
    What is the general consensus on Magura Louise?
    Comparing to all the brakes I've had lately (Avid, Hope, Magura and Shimano) I think the Magura Louise is among the best ones. They where always trouble free, nice lever feel, very silent and power when you need it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    are you talking about the new ones where bleeding was made easier (a few years ago) or the previous ones which where supposidly hard to bleed?

mtbr member
    If you can cut the lines, then you can do a bleed. Make sure you have a Magura bleed kit. Watch the vids on the Magura site and search this forum. The first time you bleed, you might find it frustrating, but then it gets easier. Be sure you know the torque specs on that tiny EBT screw. One thing I notice is that people often complain about doing what seems to start off as a good bleed, but then when they take the bleed line out of the caliper, blood chugs out. This is easily avoided by taking the caliper off the bike and holding it higher than the master before you take the line out of the caliper. This way, gravity cannot pull the blood out of the caliper hole.