mtbr member

2011 Hardrock with Tektro/Nuvelo, want bb7's, questions...

OK, I'm a big guy, about 220# and a recent highspeed downhill run on the street kind of made me tense when I hit the brakes on my 2 week old bike. It sounds like BB7's is the way to go without going hydro so I'm looking at my options.

-Should I try a better pad and new/larger rotor before dropping money on the bb7?
    -Should I do both front and rear at the same time when going to bb7?
    -Can I use bb5's or bb7's that were a takeoff of another specialized bike as a direct swap or will I still need to work on fitment?
    -Will I just be swapping the caliper/rotor as part of the bb7 upgrade or will I need to change lines and levers?

Thanks!
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your brakes need to be properly setup and tuned. The bike shop may not have set them up correctly and new bikes have a period of settling in where cables stretch, bolts loosen and need retightening etc.

I'd suggest that you work with what you have, research how to setup your brakes, make adjustments and try it out before you go down the road of upgrading.

I have a theory that one of the reasons that folks rant and rave about BB7s is that they set them up correctly when they do the upgrade but have never made sure that their originals were setup correctly. By comparison the BB7s would seem instantly better and in many cases significantly so where the reality may not show that there is that much of a performance difference. But that's just a theory....
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.