mtbr member

Are the 2011 Formula R1 levers interchangeable with 2012 R1 levers?

I purchased a pair of "2011" Formula R1 levers, which apparently did not come with travel adjust. I notice that the 2012 versions have a red anodized wheel within the lever, which allows the travel to be adjusted. Is this lever interchangeable with earlier year versions (e.g. 2010-2011) of the R1 brake set? Thanks.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Hey there,

You sure can. All that's needed is the 2012 R1 lever/piston rod assembly. No other mods are needed.

Cheers,
    Colin
    Formula Canada

mtbr member
    That's great -thanks.

BTW, judging by your screen name, I assume that you're affiliated with Formula. Did all examples of the 2011 R1 model line come with travel adjust (i.e. the version with the screw sticking out of the brake lever), or was production mixed? Just curious.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It is my understanding that almost all were without the Instant Reach Adjust. Only a select few dealers were offering the IRA and FCS pre installed versions, and they cost more obviously.

(but sure, it would be interesting to hear an official comment)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The older ones just have (I believe) a set screw that takes a 2.5mm hex wrench too adjust the reach, once I set mine, I've never had too adjust the reach.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did anyone here go through with the lever upgrade? I'm looking for the old pushrod assembly since my pushrod's 2.5mm nut was stripped. Had a helluva time getting it out and the pushrod itself is pretty much destroyed, along with the rubber boot.

I need the pushrod and preferably boot to this kit (it's actually 6mm but the common typo due to a supplier is 8mm):
    FD40117-20 : R1/MY10 One Pushrod Kit (6mm pushrod pivot)

If anyone upgrade to the new lever, I'd love to buy the old parts. Heck even if it's the 2011+ 7.7mm pushrod pivot model I'll take it and drill the hole in the lever larger.
    FD40151-20 : R1/The One MY11 Pushrod kit (7.7mm pushrod pivot)
    Bamboo is real.