mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Are 2008 XTR Disc Brakes Servo Wave?

I see from posts here that the 2008 XT are Servo Wave. Are the 2008 XTRs too? Where on the lever is the adjustment screw?
    I was discussing new brakes with the bike shop and they said the latest XTRs are Servo Wave like the XT's.

mtbr member
    AFAIK, 07 XTR's are the same as 08 XTR's and have no Servowave. The only adjustment screw is for the lever reach.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    AFAIK, 07 XTR's are the same as 08 XTR's and have no Servowave. The only adjustment screw is for the lever reach.
    ditto!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The bike shop was very adament about it. And this person is very.... knowledgeable. Said Shimano has just changed the XTR system. And i believe he got this directly from a Shimano source. In that i am considering just levers, calipers, etc. and have to be ordered directly from Shimano. That is, do not need the rotors.

But i put a lot of value on info that many of posters post here. In that they have lots... of experience. Guess that is why i was asking how you can tell by looking at a picture of the lever.

Meh.
    The XTRs most definitely do not have Servowave.

ups and downs
    People were adamant about the earth being flat at one time too. They look similar from the outside but that's superficial because they changed the reservoir and piston arrangement so they look similar.

The key place to spot the difference is the extra hardware in the lever pivot of the XT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the diagram and explanation. This guy knows his stuff. I suspect i just heard wrong.