mtbr member

2008 Shimano XT rough levers

Ok, before I think the worst about a specific store I want to know if I have some poor levers or if I just need to put lub somewhere.

I have a pair of Shimano 08 XT levers that I got with a discount from my store after I got some defective 07 levers since the warranty process wasn't the best option for me. The box of these 08 levers were not sealed and the levers seemed to be already bleeded before, anyway everything appeared to be fine and I installed them.

So far I thought my brakes were great, better modulation than the 07 levers and stronger stopness. But that was up today. I had the chance to feel today a 08 Yeti 575, with these shimano 08 xt brakes and full of pimp stuff. What can I say... Miss Perfection was her name. Her brakes were awesome! The feeling was smoother than butter yet the braking power was there! And I thought my brakes had good modulation, man, those were a really different thing, perfect brakes!

Now I think my brakes are crap. The feeling is not really smooth, how can I say it.... it's ROUGH! Of course the modulation is there, but you simply can't pull the levers with the precision of those others I mentioned and they simply don't feel as sweet. They are rough as if they needed lubrication. It's the same feeling when your chain needs lub.

So the question is. Do my levers require lub somewhere? Or did I get from my store some levers they knew wasn't as good as they should be. Anyway they knew I would have trouble claiming warranty ...

BTW, I don't think it's a bleeding issue. I'm sure they are well bleeded. The stopness is there, it's just the lever feeling what is bothering me.

Solution: Turn the free stroke screws all the way IN Thanks to the people who knew about this and that were kind to post here.
    Last edited by Gauss; 02-10-2008 at 07:30 PM.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    have you played a bit with the engagement point adjustment?

they fell smoother when you have them contact further in...

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if you are referring to the 'free stroke' adjustment, if so, then yes, and there's no difference.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Are you referring to a tiny scrape/knock like there is a piece of sand in the actual lever joint/servo wave cam, nothing to do with the feel of the lever, but if you disconnected the lever from the rest of the brake unit and moved the lever it would still feel the same right?

That is what I had for a while, so I took the lever of the handle bar and found there was a tiny bit of mud in the servo wave cam path, I have fixed this about 3 times but it seems to be a problem that can happen quite easily if you go through some serious mud like me.

If it isnít anything to do with this then I apologise for sending you on a wild goose chase/wasting your time.
    [/SIZE]

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss
    I'm not sure if you are referring to the 'free stroke' adjustment, if so, then yes, and there's no difference.
    yes..I meant the free stroke... I have 2 sets and they feel smooth ..sorry i can't help much

I don't know that the levers need any lube...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Are you referring to a tiny scrape/knock like there is a piece of sand in the actual lever joint/servo wave cam, nothing to do with the feel of the lever, but if you disconnected the lever from the rest of the brake unit and moved the lever it would still feel the same right?

That is what I had for a while, so I took the lever of the handle bar and found there was a tiny bit of mud in the servo wave cam path, I have fixed this about 3 times but it seems to be a problem that can happen quite easily if you go through some serious mud like me.

If it isn’t anything to do with this then I apologise for sending you on a wild goose chase/wasting your time.
    [/SIZE]
    Well, could it be possible. But the feeling is since they were just installed. Anyway I'm gonna see if I can check what you say and I'm gonna bleed them again doing a little different step from what I did the first time.

I hope everything goes fine. If not, I'd blame the store, that's actually a big one with many announcements here.

Thanks for the time for posting guys.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Did you mean the levers were separate in the box from the rest of the brake and they felt as though they had been bled before? If so I would say they are ďsecond handĒ used and could explain how something got into the workings of the brakes (dirt). A rip-of if they had already been used and the dealer didnít tell you.

Alternatively they could have been second hand and been returned to the shop because of this problem which the dealer couldnít fix so the original owner got a different brake which may have nothing to do with my earlier post and the dealer still neglected to tell you there was a problem.

Either way it is the dealer you should speek to if your bleeding idea doesn't work.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    That's exactly what I thought EGF168. And the probability I think is high. The levers looked like new, but sincerely they were in little plastic bags to avoid staining with oil the box. How a store would convince you offering you a discount of $50 knowing you are abroad in a country where all the shipping expenses for a warranty would cost you $100and more. I think sometimes business with people in underdeveloped countries is not taken seriously.

The worst here is that we are talking about the big J at Canada.

Well, let's see this weekend how it goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    When you say levers, are the calipers 08XT as well or are they a different model caliper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZSpokes
    When you say levers, are the calipers 08XT as well or are they a different model caliper?
    Saint calipers. I'm not sure if the calipers really have a roll on the rough feeling these levers have. Where maybe there's a deal, is in the free stroke function, I'm sure this is better when used with the 08 XT calipers.

Just to add, the levers felt like that before mounting and bleeding the calipers. I thought once with oil the felling would improve... later I didn't care since anyway the brakes doesn't work that bad. And since I felt the brakes on the Yeti my mind told me... what the... why yours doesn't feel like these!?

Meh.
    Shimano brakes typically don't come pre-assembled. And the new XT levers definitely don't come packaged with with the Saint calipers. And the new calipers have a few differences that could certainly affect the lever feel. You probably got a return or canceled order.

Take it apart, clean the bushings, cam, etc. Use a light grease. Reassemble.

A bad bleed shouldn't make it feel gritty...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

re: rough lever feel

Try winding the free stroke adjustment all the way in (it doesn't really do anything, anyway.)

In my experience with several different sets of these brakes, putting that screw all the way in makes for a smooth, stiction. free lever feel. Bringing it out at all creates a sensation, like some people have said in this thread, that there's a piece of grit in the cam of the brake.

If that doesnít work call Shimano customer service and see what they say about lubing the sucker.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Gauss
    Are you sure you have tried the free stroke adjustment, I was in a bike shop Tuesday and was fiddling with another returned set of XTís while they looked at mine and found it was a similar problem to my grit in the cam problem but it was the result of the free stroke lever being screwed out (half way). It felt exactly the same as the grit problem but it went straight away when I moved the free stroke back in.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Bikewanker and EGF, thanks for the input. I should rebleed my brakes with some new ideas and this free stroke issue, because I'm sure those screws are not all the way in.

Anyway... what you consider is a better idea? To loose the free stroke screws, rebleed and tighten the screws back or to tighten the screws first before rebleed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Forget the screws. Screw them both all the way in. and then forget about them.

Shouldn't have to re-bleed, you should be able to use the reach adjust and play with the positioning of the lever on the bar to dial in position and feel.

I'd be interested to see if that would help with the rough levers feel

mtbr member
    ok ok. Just wait unill tomorrow as my bike is not at my home.

I'll post the result asap.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bikewanker. That was the solution. I tighten the free stroke screws and the problem is gone, one lever is perfect and the other almost, but I can't complain. I had a long ride today and the brakes perform nice!